ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MOtorrad ADV bike comparo (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856918)

Thinc2 01-20-2013 03:57 AM

MOtorrad ADV bike comparo
 
Some interesting data all in one place - weight, HP...

Basic message - they like a lot of these bikes. For the Tenere engine: "unbreakable". For the Stelvio: "very heavy". NOte the price is not lower for the Guzzi and Tenere than the BMW in Germany. Not the case in US.

Overall they acknowledge there are a lot of good bikes competing in this space. They also acknoweldge that what Harley has done for the chopper culture, BMW had done for the GS - you get to belong to a lifestyle when you buy a GS.

They also note that their long term test Ducati has 50K KM's on the clutch with no issues. They have been sourcing this clutch for the last three years from Japanese OEM FCC. And guess what - this is the exact clutch that is in the new GS.

And based on just this review - the KTM comes in first...


http://hickler.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...CN_0001-XL.jpg



http://hickler.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...CN_0002-XL.jpg



http://hickler.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...CN_0003-XL.jpg


http://hickler.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...CN_0004-XL.jpg




http://hickler.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...CN_0005-XL.jpg

GB 01-20-2013 05:02 AM

Thanks for posting the scans.. too bad I can't read it! :(: Strange that GS doesn't come in first place when it has all green bullets and no red, it is german based Motororra after all.. :scratch Interested in hearing what they had to say about the Versys 1000.

ph0rk 01-20-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 20531647)
Thanks for posting the scans.. too bad I can't read it! :(: Strange that GS doesn't come in first place when it has all green bullets and no red, it is german based Motororra after all.. :scratch Interested in hearing what they had to say about the Versys 1000.

They do not appear to like the Tenere.


My crappy translations:

Motorleistung: Motor power, motor output
Fahrleistungen: road/driving performance (hence the wheel in the air)
Assistenzsysteme: Like it sounds, I guess - assist systems. ABS, traction control, etc
Gewicht: weight
Reichweite: range
Ausstattung: equipment/fittings, looks like gauges/trip computer
Preis: price, obviously
Gesamt: I'd guess something like Gestalt, the whole, overall winner.

Someone who did more than spend a week ordering beer in Vienna can probably do better.


Seems like odd stuff to compare based on, I wonder how the scores were weighted.

Murf2 01-20-2013 06:08 AM

What, no Farfegnugen category ?

ph0rk 01-20-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murf2 (Post 20531954)
What, no Farfegnugen category ?


I think that is meant to be covered by Fahrleistungen :rofl

oalvarez 01-20-2013 06:42 AM

Stelvio last overall...ouchie! :eek1

Thinc2 01-20-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oalvarez (Post 20532167)
Stelvio last overall...ouchie! :eek1

They say: too heavy, and that technically it compares with the older GS generations. Also they say it is easily damaged when dropped.

GS-A-Day 01-20-2013 07:29 AM

Note that on p. 43 (the text in the picture) they say that this report is based on the numbers submitted by the manufacturers and (in the case of KTM and Aprilia) some estimates as well. The actual tests are to follow in March.

oalvarez 01-20-2013 08:03 AM

given their criteria, it makes sense that the Ducati came in first.....good for the guys from Borno Panigale!

Moronic 01-20-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-A-Day (Post 20532480)
Note that on p. 43 (the text in the picture) they say that this report is based on the numbers submitted by the manufacturers and (in the case of KTM and Aprilia) some estimates as well. The actual tests are to follow in March.


Thank you for that. I was wondering. All the power outputs quoted seem to be as as claimed, at the crank. So they are lining them up, on the numbers. A bit of speculation about how the new KTM and GS will go against the established contenders.

The Stelvio might be a heavy beast, but the quoted weight - 285kg - doesn't sound quite right for the version they have pictured and named, which is the one sold with cast wheels and no extras. And while its tech might look old, it's near the Yam in the power department.

coast range rider 01-20-2013 09:07 AM

If only I understood German so I could see which bike that I want that they don't sell here!

MANXMAN 01-20-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk (Post 20531793)
They do not appear to like the Tenere.


My crappy translations:

Motorleistung: Motor power, motor output
Fahrleistungen: road/driving performance (hence the wheel in the air)
Assistenzsysteme: Like it sounds, I guess - assist systems. ABS, traction control, etc
Gewicht: weight
Reichweite: range
Ausstattung: equipment/fittings, looks like gauges/trip computer
Preis: price, obviously
Gesamt: I'd guess something like Gestalt, the whole, overall winner.

Thanks for that.

Can anyone determine if there is any mention of off road abilities in the Fahrleistungen segment?

Sock Monkey 01-20-2013 10:10 AM

This is a spec sheet comparison, and they even got that wrong (compared weight if a Stelvio NTX but showed standard model).

It is nice to have the specs all in one place, but to declare a "spec sheet" winner seems a bit :huh :loco

-SM

LowOnFuel 01-20-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oalvarez (Post 20532708)
given their criteria, it makes sense that the Ducati came in first.....good for the guys from Borno Panigale!

I think it says the KTM came in first, but I might be wrong, again. :wink:

Fishenough 01-20-2013 11:03 AM

Warps my brain that what many consider a 'large trailie', an off the shelf dirt bike (KTM 1190), can pull a 10 second quarter mile and hit 150 miles per hour.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014