ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How fast do you run on gravel roads ? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857316)

Hawk62cj5 01-21-2013 01:55 PM

How fast do you run on gravel roads ?

Im a newb and ride alone so I have nothing to gauge myself on . I spend alot of my time riding /exploring state maintained gravel roads and just wonder how fast do most people run . Ive noticed to me the bike feels good between 30-45 mph , slower or faster the handling feels like it degrades to me. Is this normal ? Im in no hurry when I ride so I doubt I really change but I was curious.

EZ300 01-21-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 (Post 20542855)
Im a newb and ride alone so I have nothing to gauge myself on . I spend alot of my time riding /exploring state maintained gravel roads and just wonder how fast do most people run . Ive noticed to me the bike feels good between 30-45 mph , slower or faster the handling feels like it degrades to me. Is this normal ? Im in no hurry when I ride so I doubt I really change but I was curious.

Only ever run at what you are comfortable. Pushing your comfort zone can end badly. Push when it's safe and others can't be hurt if you go down.

RxZ 01-21-2013 02:04 PM

I run about 6 MPH. I can go faster, but only for about 10 minutes. :1drink

RxZ 01-21-2013 02:06 PM

Oh wait, are talking motorcycles? I have been offroad on mine once. I hope to not have to again. My bike is a Ninja 500 with its horribly bad shocks. NOT made for gravel. :nah

ADW 01-21-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 (Post 20542855)

I'd agree with you, for my tastes 30-45 is about right on a gravel road. I like to sightsee and that seems to be a happy speed to do it. Fast enough to get somewhere but slow enough to enjoy the ride and not worry about hitting a giant pothole or some other hazard.

gmk999 01-21-2013 02:36 PM

It depends on the surface, Generally, speed is my friend and I count on a bit of throttle to get me out of a drift. That said opposing forces such as road crown, Loosely packed or lopsided luggage, and Marbles (loose stone on packed dirt) can easily change that. I would say as fast as I can comfortably go knowing that I wont over drift the road and land in the ditch or worse. I rarely run at over 60 though.

ragtoplvr 01-21-2013 02:42 PM

I got onto some gravel that I had to take at abut 10 mph could never get up to a speed when I floated on top. One mile and I was soaked wit sweat. I have been on gravel at 60 mph. Most time 35 to 40. The bike can tell you what it likes, listen.

Rod

avocadofarmer 01-21-2013 02:53 PM

I've managed 80 before....crank up the stabilizer and stand on the pegs. It was pry stupid though. Felt ok.

Hawk62cj5 01-21-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmk999 (Post 20543096)
It depends on the surface, Generally, speed is my friend and I count on a bit of throttle to get me out of a drift. That said opposing forces such as road crown, Loosely packed or lopsided luggage, and Marbles (loose stone on packed dirt) can easily change that. I would say as fast as I can comfortably go knowing that I wont over drift the road and land in the ditch or worse. I rarely run at over 60 though.

Or a out bridge complete with dukes of hazzard jump ramps like I ran into yesterday , which to be fair they had road closed signs up
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps8cd9d86c.jpg

I know thats the tricky part of the question , a gravel road is a ever changing surface so I know it can vary road to road day to day . I grew up at the end of a 6 mile dirt road and I could run it up to the 70s end to end when it was right , semi packed soft dirt with the gravel packed in after a rain but let it get hard with slushy gravel on top I would have back off a bit or worst of all let it washboard and you would have to poke along under 40 . Then every state does their gravel roads a bit different so all of that factors in .

Bucho 01-21-2013 03:09 PM

As fast as I feel like...

Like others have said, as fast as you feel comfortable. Though now a sidecar hangs off of my 650 so its now a bit slower.

DSM8 01-21-2013 03:20 PM

Several answers to this one:

Front tire size (19" would be harder than a 21")
Tire type - Knobby easier than street
Bike type - Vstrom would be much slower than on my 990

And there is gravel type.

When I ride along the railroad tracks they use 1.5"-2.5" gravel, the big stuff which is kinda deep. It moves all over the place. The smaller stuff kinda packs down so is easier to ride on.

In a nutshell there is no single answer. The best one is ride at the pace you are comfortable at. There is a speed at which stability and comfort meet, usually it is fast enough to get you on top of the gravel. kind of like riding on sand. Weight placement on the bike, standing etc etc all play a part.

Maybe not an answer you looking for but the question your asking doesn't really have a single response either.

Wraith Rider 01-21-2013 03:34 PM

Really depends on the surface, bike, experience and boldness. At the age of 15/16/17 on my 125ccm Varadero I drove up to ~55mph on firm dirt with nearly no gravel. Nowadays with my VFR 1200 I don't dare going over 40mph and still the fairing around the exhaust manifold touched the ground at ~30mph at one point.

PeterW 01-21-2013 03:57 PM

Going faster usually smooths things out, and 9 times out of 10 'more throttle' will also help stabilize the bike if you hit a soft spot.

There are a couple of gotcha's - first going fast is great once you get there but there's quite often an unstable speed range before you get there. O.K. you can just blast through that going up in speed - the catch is that if you have to slow down, you have to pass through that unstable speed range again. (I don't do that anymore :eek1).

You need to be slow enough in the first place that 'more throttle' has survivable consequences in the 1 case in 10 where it doesn't work.

FWIW, your speeds seem pretty close to mine riding solo, maybe a bit faster but a lot depends on road condition. I'll go a bit faster in company when there's some backup.

Pete

jasonmt 01-21-2013 04:06 PM

As fast as you are comfortable with and the conditions, bikes capability and your skill-set allows.

For me sometimes it is 30km/h and other times it is 140 km/h.

KLR04 01-21-2013 04:22 PM

As slow as slipping the clutch in first all the way to rear wheel spinning like mad at an indicated 170 kmh, man I love my 950!:clap

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:39 AM.