ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Multimeters! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858253)

Crocodile Tears 01-25-2013 08:44 AM

Multimeters!

So for work I need a different multimeter. I have a Fluke 365 that was provided for me. However, it does not have enough resolution to be useful - some of our older equipment using DC drives needs tuning down to the mVDC (at least hundreths VDC) while the 365 only goes down to tenths. Its a great meter otherwise, and the detachable clamp makes it great for compact panels.

Anyone have any suggestions for a different meter? I used Fluke 177s at my last job, and it would be fine in this application but then A) I would need to carry another clamp meter probably and B) damn they are spendy. Anyone have experience with other equipment? Initially I was provided some form of Extech meter and the thing would constantly read 6-10 volts higher than any other meter :huh so I ditched it ASAP. I dont recall model though.

seuadr 01-25-2013 09:03 AM

i have used a UEI DL-289. I've used it only in the automotive and HVAC fields, but i've used it to check Mili amps and Mili Volts (AC) with no problems. it auto ranges nicely, just have to give it a second. I've never actually tried Mili Volts (DC).

HillbillyNinja 01-25-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears (Post 20572292)
So for work I need a different multimeter. I have a Fluke 365 that was provided for me. However, it does not have enough resolution to be useful - some of our older equipment using DC drives needs tuning down to the mVDC (at least hundreths VDC) while the 365 only goes down to tenths. Its a great meter otherwise, and the detachable clamp makes it great for compact panels.

Anyone have any suggestions for a different meter? I used Fluke 177s at my last job, and it would be fine in this application but then A) I would need to carry another clamp meter probably and B) damn they are spendy. Anyone have experience with other equipment? Initially I was provided some form of Extech meter and the thing would constantly read 6-10 volts higher than any other meter :huh so I ditched it ASAP. I dont recall model though.

Fluke 87.

68deluxe 01-25-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja (Post 20573618)
Fluke 87.

Can you use it while wearing hippo hands?

68deluxe 01-25-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja (Post 20573618)
Fluke 87.

Looks like $$$$$ for the meter and the clamp, for the price I would think you could keep the 365 and get another meter with the required resolution.

kobudo28 01-25-2013 07:17 PM

We don't use anything but Fluke in the shop for hand held DMM's, unless it is for bench top, then it is Agilent all the way. Fluke gear isn't cheap, but it works and has proven reliability.

Bokrijder 01-25-2013 07:46 PM

Buy the appropriate Fluke product and be done with it.
I'm now retired from a career in aviation. I bought my first Fluke in my 20s. When I was about 45, my dad was complaining about his meter and commented that he sure liked my Fluke unit. With a sudden impulse, I handed him the meter and said, " Here dad it's yours ", and bought myself another. Now twenty plus years later, both units are still going strong. Before retirement the meters were regularly checked and certified per regulations, it's now a few years, but I'm confident both would still certify. Unless Fluke quality has faltered, I'm a believer.

Bokrijder

HillbillyNinja 01-26-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobudo28 (Post 20576722)
We don't use anything but Fluke in the shop for hand held DMM's, unless it is for bench top, then it is Agilent all the way. Fluke gear isn't cheap, but it works and has proven reliability.

Exactly this. Although we also use an occasional Keithly for some specialized things, the Agilent bench tops and Fluke DMM's have been flawless and resilient to lab techs doing stupid things with them.

HillbillyNinja 01-26-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68deluxe (Post 20576676)
Looks like $$$$$ for the meter and the clamp, for the price I would think you could keep the 365 and get another meter with the required resolution.

Since he said it was for work, I was recommending professional grade gear. I'd buy one personally and have done so as I'm a firm believer in the quality and reliability of the Fluke DMMs.

Although, since he said clamp, maybe he's doing DC current measurements with the hall effect probe clamp. In that case, I'd go with something a bit more spendy than the 365, such as the 376 with iLoop. We just purchased a 381 with the remote lcd for work around very high voltage DC systems and it's been a treat.

a1fa 01-26-2013 08:29 AM

Can someone commend on oscilloscopes too?

HillbillyNinja 01-26-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1fa (Post 20579356)
Can someone commend on oscilloscopes too?

What are you trying to scope? There's a giant range of equipment and you probably don't need lab grade scopes.

a1fa 01-26-2013 08:50 AM

pulse width modulation on injectors.. :)
maybe timing, and other range of automotive sensors... etc etc

_cy_ 01-26-2013 03:53 PM

another vote for Fluke 87V...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:25 PM.