ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Repair cracked motorcycle windshield (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859363)

flossandfly 01-29-2013 03:25 PM

Repair cracked motorcycle windshield
 
I had 2 cracked spitfire windshields and couldn't bring myself to order a 3rd one without attempting to repair them since one was just cracked. (the other had one piece break right off and cracked the rest)

After googling I found out about Acrylic Cement. Guys use it to make fish tanks out of acrylic and it works well.

I bought IPS Weldon 5 Oz 16 Acrylic Cement

It worked pretty well. It doesn't really act like glue, it acts more like a weld. I used it on the 2 broken windshields and I can now flex them without re-cracking them. I haven't taken a ride with them yet, but they seem to be good.

bwalsh 01-29-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flossandfly (Post 20603894)
I had 2 cracked spitfire windshields and couldn't bring myself to order a 3rd one without attempting to repair them since one was just cracked. (the other had one piece break right off and cracked the rest)

After googling I found out about Acrylic Cement. Guys use it to make fish tanks out of acrylic and it works well.

I bought IPS Weldon 5 Oz 16 Acrylic Cement

It worked pretty well. It doesn't really act like glue, it acts more like a weld. I used it on the 2 broken windshields and I can now flex them without re-cracking them. I haven't taken a ride with them yet, but they seem to be good.


Can you post some pics?
Prices fluctuate quite a bit on that stuff! :huh A quick online search reveals Wal-Mart wanting $21 for the 5 oz tube. but can get it online for under $8 plus shipping.

flossandfly 01-29-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 20604646)
Can you post some pics?
Prices fluctuate quite a bit on that stuff! :huh A quick online search reveals Wal-Mart wanting $21 for the 5 oz tube. but can get it online for under $8 plus shipping.

I don't have a picture storing account so can't post pics. That price sounds right.

b1pig 01-30-2013 08:51 PM

correct me if i'm wrong... but shouldnt stop-drilling also prevent the cracks from spreading? i've done that with plastics and sheet metal.

got pics of the repairs? does sound interesting.

heirhead 01-30-2013 11:07 PM

shield repair
 
Hello,

Just finished shield repair 5 mins ago and saw this post, what timing.
Cannot post pics but if someone wants to PM me with there email I will send over for them to post.
You will see the work of a true craftsman.

Heirhead

Contevita 01-30-2013 11:24 PM

You can get a free account here http://www.imageshack.us/

And that's just one of many free hosting sites you can choose from.

Now where are those pics? :D

Strong Bad 01-31-2013 07:55 AM

worthless without pics
 
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...outpicture.jpg

This thread is worthless without pics!

Contevita 02-01-2013 01:19 AM

I see you went to the wrong end of the French Quarter before the Super Bowl. :puke1

foxtrapper 02-01-2013 07:43 AM

Well shoot, that would be a heck of an improvement over my normal practice of using zip ties to stitch it back together.

Skippii 02-01-2013 08:31 AM

Here's my method which has worked well, but I warn you it's not the prettiest. On a dark/smoked windscreen it's alright, but I probably wouldn't do it on a clear one.

With everything nicely held in place, melt/cut a trough in the back of the windshield with a soldering gun (I got my 230W one years ago from radioshack for about $30, but 100W or probably a lot less would work just as well) so everything is attached correctly. Scrape up the burrs or lightly sand with rough grit, and then fill in the trough you melted with plastic epoxy.
Super cheap to do, and works just fine.

Ricardo Kuhn 02-01-2013 10:38 AM

http://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...IMG_7358-L.jpg

http://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...IMG_7393-L.jpg

http://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...IMG_7395-L.jpg

Contevita 02-01-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heirhead (Post 20615863)
Hello,

Just finished shield repair 5 mins ago and saw this post, what timing.
Cannot post pics but if someone wants to PM me with there email I will send over for them to post.
You will see the work of a true craftsman.

Heirhead

Here are your pics...

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/5562/dr650017.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/5391/dr650018.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/3566/dr650019.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/8620/dr650020.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4484/k...anhouse013.jpg

I'll let you expain what we're seeing here.

heirhead 02-01-2013 09:30 PM

artisan at work
 
Hello,

Thanks to Contevita for posting pics of my Beautiful repair of my Parabellum shield off dr650, also pictured.
Clean crack do to pilot error. Wanted it to be strong. like a weld, stronger than the material. Edges of 16 ga, 6" steel are very sharp as you can see. Won't break in this spot again. Bending the steel both ways to the contour of the shield is tricky. Neighbors on Harleys won't ride unless I ride something else.
Kind of gives off that macho Bobber look, you think?

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

flossandfly 02-02-2013 09:43 AM

That picture is exactly what the acrylic cement repair looks like. It is not pretty but is simple to do and appears to be quite strong.

That pic of the large lady made me laugh.


H96669 02-02-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn (Post 20626811)

Chain links???? That's pretty crafty.:clap Just my answer I was looking for some off the shelves "thingies" for a rivetted seat cover job.:clapUsually blued when new, that's also easy to redo if working out of the scrap pile. Gun blue does have uses on motorcycle sometimes if just for looks.:wink:

Looks like you rivetted on the bags also. BMW bags can be a real pita for that, twin walls in some parts with a space in between and if you poprivet may squeeze and they'll crack. Had to do that and ended up filling the void space with expansion foam just so I could rivet without more crackings.

Someone just gave me one of them kits to fill gaps & cracks. That's industrial strenght CA and 2 little jars of black and grey powders to use as a filler then set with the CA.

This stuff, Q-Bond:

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Repair-Sm.../dp/B003YI421I


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014