ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Laptop died... damn! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859762)

Mr_Gone 01-31-2013 07:49 AM

Laptop died... damn!
 
I've had a Toshiba X205 laptop for about five years, which is a long life for a laptop, I suppose. Last night, the screen died. Totally black.

I'm unsure whether it's worth the cost to replace the screen, or just buy a new laptop. The Toshiba has been a great laptop, running nearly continually for those five years.

Tmaximusv 01-31-2013 09:05 AM

Worst part is that the cost to repair would get you a new pc that would require "upgrading" to Windows Hate.

sigh

NJjeff 01-31-2013 09:10 AM

I had a Toshiba laptop screen go dark on me, twice.

Time #1 the laptop was accidently kicked when on the floor.
That time it was a fine ribbon cable connector near the hinge for the screen. It came loose. I snaped it back in and it worked.

Time #2 when it went black.
It was was the fluorescent back light bulb. Got them online for a few $'s.

Now installing them took some time and a quality soldering iron, but in the end it works great.

There also is an inverter that powers the lamp (very high voltage). In my online search people mentioned they go bad. That was not my case so I left it alone.

GlassAnkles 01-31-2013 09:13 AM

sell it for parts, buy a google chromebook if it suits your needs.

do people really need dvd drives on laptops anymore?

gonerydin 01-31-2013 09:16 AM

This happened to one that belongs to my GF. It might be possible to revive it. Unplug the power supply, remove the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs. Plug it back in and it "might" work. If it does, put the battery back in. If not, do a google search for "Toshiba laptop black screen" before you give up. OTOH, you are probably due for a new one anyway. : )

Mr_Gone 01-31-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonerydin (Post 20618265)
This happened to one that belongs to my GF. It might be possible to revive it. Unplug the power supply, remove the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs. Plug it back in and it "might" work. If it does, put the battery back in. If not, do a google search for "Toshiba laptop black screen" before you give up. OTOH, you are probably due for a new one anyway. : )

I'm definitely due for a new one, but I just love this Toshiba. In it's day, it was a screamin' demon! Even now, it's a pretty nice machine.

I just stopped by the computer shop here in town, and I'm looking at $200 total to replace the screen (parts +labor) and that's not too bad. Seems worth it to me.

I'll probably do some online comparison shopping this weekend, looking at new laptops. I really don't want a new machine with Windows 8, though.

Hmm... decisions, decisions.

NikonsAndVStroms 01-31-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassAnkles (Post 20618245)
sell it for parts, buy a google chromebook if it suits your needs.

do people really need dvd drives on laptops anymore?

+1

If not I've had good luck with Dell refurbished models. Usually they are a huge chunk off new....and when they go on sale it can be up to 75% off.

If you want to avoid Windows 8 look at the small business models as many give the option to keep the old OS. I got a machine with XP a full year after Vista came out.

Grreatdog 01-31-2013 09:47 AM

I second the Dell refurbs. I have been using one for five years at home and my wife for four years.

But I also second the screen replacement. When my even more ancient little Dell laptop bit the dust I simply ordered a used screen from eBay for about $25 and stuck the thing on myself. It is still working five years later. Or it was last time I bothered to turn it on.

UnderNewOwnership 01-31-2013 09:47 AM

That must be a US thing. A lot of lappys sold here come without an OS (I don't consider FreeDOS an OS).

BHW 01-31-2013 09:54 AM

Open the RAM cover in the back and make sure one of your RAM chips didn't wiggle loose!

I replaced the LCD in my old Acer one time. I think I paid just under $100 for the new screen. It still works, as my secondary laptop. I'm on it now because my newer Gateway died last week!

DC2wheels 01-31-2013 10:17 AM

I had a laptop screen go bad. Found an identical unit on fleabay that had something wrong with the keyboard.

Bought it and did a screen transplant. Easy to do- all the connectors are plug in.

Good luck.

Jonnylotto 01-31-2013 10:22 AM

Laptop screens almost never die unless damaged. It's usually just the inverter for the backlight, which is a ~$30, 30 minute DIY fix.

mouthfulloflake 01-31-2013 12:25 PM

yep, probably the inverter board.

hold a bright light up to the screen, I could still ( faintly) see the windows logo and stuff when the backlight on mine went out.

took about an hour to replace it ( I had never done it before), be careful with the screen they crack very easily!

Mr_Gone 01-31-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnylotto (Post 20618801)
Laptop screens almost never die unless damaged. It's usually just the inverter for the backlight, which is a ~$30, 30 minute DIY fix.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake (Post 20619793)
yep, probably the inverter board.

hold a bright light up to the screen, I could still ( faintly) see the windows logo and stuff when the backlight on mine went out.

took about an hour to replace it ( I had never done it before), be careful with the screen they crack very easily!

I'm pretty sure it's not the inverter board. The screen is completely black. I will double-check, though, when I get home tonight.

The laptop has been running almost continuously for five years. I just never turn it off. Something was bound to go out.

BHW 01-31-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnylotto (Post 20618801)
Laptop screens almost never die unless damaged. It's usually just the inverter for the backlight, which is a ~$30, 30 minute DIY fix.

Mine started with vertical lines running through it, and they just got worse as time went by.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014