ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Talk to me about 1.28 gal toilets. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859927)

mud 01-31-2013 08:41 PM

Talk to me about 1.28 gal toilets.

SO, Are the new 1.28 gallon toilets worth a shit?

Hodag 01-31-2013 08:46 PM

get a good plunger

mud 01-31-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodag (Post 20622924)
get a good plunger

:lol3
That's what I am wondering....

Mudflaps 01-31-2013 09:44 PM

I've got a 1960's Universal Rundle toilet in the basement. Not sure how many gallons but it's the greatest toilet ever.

BTW I was pretty pissed when I found out "Mud" was already taken here when I joined. Had to to settle with the crappy "Mudflaps" instead. :1drink

Damifino 01-31-2013 10:04 PM

I'm quite good at clogging them apparently, I spend a lot of time in hotels, all the newer ones have them, yes, it is quite embarrassing calling the front desk with a big log stuck in the turlet...

P B G 01-31-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damifino (Post 20623340)
I'm quite good at clogging them apparently, I spend a lot of time in hotels, all the newer ones have them, yes, it is quite embarrassing calling the front desk with a big log stuck in the turlet...

My gf did that once, tried to blame me, its quite easy laughing about it when you know you didn't go.

troidus 01-31-2013 11:04 PM

I installed one of these

http://www.caromausa.com/database/im...t_305_rfp2.jpg

in 2007 and it has never clogged. I've flushed old leftovers down it and it never complains. The plunger, which saw regular use with the $99 Ace Hardware cheapie that came with the house, now lives in the shed, completely unused. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone who asks.

rocker59 01-31-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodag (Post 20622924)
get a good plunger

...and flush as you go.

slackmeyer 01-31-2013 11:21 PM

I put an american standard 1.28 gal flush toilet in our house 3 months ago. . . . the old (1960s) toilet didn't flush that well, and I'm interested in saving water. I was prepared to spend a few hundred bucks and buy a nice dual flush model, but I looked at the flush efficiency and prices, and decided I'd probably save more water with a 1.28 gallon model, and it promised to flush anything. I think I paid around $120 bucks, the box included a wax ring and new supply hose, and it's worked perfectly every flush. Oh, and big unexpected bonus: cleaning the toilet got a lot less frequent and a lot easier; a lot of newer toilets have super slick glazes on the inside so that crud doesn't stick/mildew doesn't grow.

I think people who resist new high efficiency toilets must have gotten burned on the first wave of 1.6 gallon toilets. . . things have come a long way since then. I used to only recommend Toto, since they were heads and shoulders above other toilets. Nowadays, it's pretty easy to find a low flow toilet that actually works, costs less than $200, and goes in in an hour.

troidus 01-31-2013 11:50 PM

The one I posted above is Australian. It's a dual flush, .8/1.28 (3L/4.8L). The first month I put it in, our water usage dropped by 500 gallons. That's with two people. If you have a houseful of folks, the savings could be substantial.

slackmeyer 01-31-2013 11:57 PM

Interesting, what is it?

When I was looking at dual flush toilets, seemed like most of them were still 1/1.6 gallon, or something close to that. I don't feel any need to flush every time I pee anyway.

machinebuilder 02-01-2013 06:07 AM

A couple years ago I replaces a 1960's vintage with an American Standard 1.6G/flush model.

Its one from Lowes that claims to flush a bucket of golf balls. I haven't tried to flush golf balls:huh, but this is very impressive, I've never clogged it. YMMV

the newer designs work alot different, I think most of the flush water is aimed at the drain, so it sucks the waste down.

Being on a well and septic by myself I'm not that concerned about the water usage, I wanted a toilet that works.

It is much easier to clean too.

troidus 02-01-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer (Post 20623691)
Interesting, what is it?

When I was looking at dual flush toilets, seemed like most of them were still 1/1.6 gallon, or something close to that. I don't feel any need to flush every time I pee anyway.

That is a Caroma Sydney Smart 305 Round Front Plus. It's a washdown design, rather than a siphon jet, so it keeps the bowl fairly clean.

http://www.caromausa.com/products/in...products71.php

rapidoxidationman 02-01-2013 07:44 AM

Low volume toilets

are not bad as long as there's enough water running from other sources to keep the drain line washed out. If a toilet is on its own branch drain and has a long run of 3-4" pipe 'til it gets to an intersection, the lack of volume might not sweep things down the drain. Toilet with a shower close by? No problem.

Dave in Wi 02-01-2013 09:06 AM

I installed an American Standard Champion 4 a few years ago in our bathroom that sees the most #2 action. The online reviews of this toilet I've read on terrylove.com are not good, but I love it . It's only clogged 2 or 3 times in 4 years, instead of every time like the circa 1995 Mansfield low flow it replaced. I have had to replace the gasket at the flapper valve, but other than that it's been fine.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:52 PM.