ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Straps for securing duffles, etc. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860845)

burmbuster 02-04-2013 03:57 PM

Straps for securing duffles, etc.
 
I need a few straps and the old use of buggy cords is no longer the norm. So what do you use?:ear

beechhunter 02-04-2013 04:02 PM

straps
 
Rok straps

burmbuster 02-04-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechhunter (Post 20650443)
Rok straps

That's the one. Thanks, Beech!:clap

trc.rhubarb 02-04-2013 04:13 PM

Rok Straps here too

SCQTT 02-04-2013 04:20 PM

They just flat out work.

Effective, simple, pretty cheap.

Rok-Straps

http://rokstraps.com/

Maggot12 02-04-2013 04:21 PM

1" ratchet straps for me. Much more versatile and stronger than rok straps and a fraction of the cost.

yukonjon 02-04-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCQTT (Post 20650583)
They just flat out work.

Effective, simple, pretty cheap.

Rok-Straps

http://rokstraps.com/

+1 work great!

Manolito 02-04-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scqtt (Post 20650583)
they just flat out work.

Effective, simple, pretty cheap.

Rok-straps

http://rokstraps.com/

+1

darkstarmoto 02-04-2013 06:10 PM

Voile straps.

sailah 02-04-2013 06:28 PM

I used to guide rafts and NRS straps were the gold standard for everything. I tied down rafts to trailers, clotheslines, belts. lashing everything imaginable. And they were super tough. The rafting environment is much more demanding than the strapping a duffel to a bike tasks. And they are cheap.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...0&pdeptid=1188

http://www.kayakshed.com/client/imag...e_strap300.jpg

Snowbound 02-04-2013 06:29 PM

Helen 2 Wheels or cam buckle straps . No plastic to break !

TheYeti 02-04-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggot12 (Post 20650586)
1" ratchet straps for me. Much more versatile and stronger than rok straps and a fraction of the cost.


Me Too they can be found almost anyplace.I got mine from Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21152 Super tough,The ones SAILAH posted will be my next set.

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Camp...ents/21152.jpg

sailah 02-04-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 20651488)
Me Too they can be found almost anyplace.I got mine from Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21152 Super tough,The ones SAILAH posted will be my next set.

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Camp...ents/21152.jpg

Get the real NRS ones. Ancra are good too. Plenty of imitators with thin webbing that stinks. The NRS straps are cheap enough it makes sense to get the real deal. Plus the length is sewn into the strap which makes grabbing the right one easy.

They are also excellent for tying bikes down on a trailer as well. Because they are a continuous loop, no hooks to come off and they are easy on the grip like soft ties.

TheYeti 02-04-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailah (Post 20651598)
Get the real NRS ones. Ancra are good too. Plenty of imitators with thin webbing that stinks. The NRS straps are cheap enough it makes sense to get the real deal. Plus the length is sewn into the strap which makes grabbing the right one easy.

They are also excellent for tying bikes down on a trailer as well. Because they are a continuous loop, no hooks to come off and they are easy on the grip like soft ties.

Thanks I"ll use those in future. And you are right on the money ,with rafting is much harder on equipment then anything you'd do on a MC, Short of crashing the bike over and over .

SCQTT 02-05-2013 07:37 AM

OK, going to get on my soapbox here a little. However, this is just my opinion. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You need to be very careful using tie-downs that ultra robust. Things happen and when straps get tangled in wheels & chains & sprockets you do not want robust, you want reasonable strength for the job.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Lots of people have been seriously injured and some even killed when their gear became entangled in their motorcycle, locking their rear wheel and causing them to go down.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The reason I am a big fan of Rok Straps is the self-adjusting nature of them. Their built-in, flat, multi bungie, is always taught when properly adjusted. You do not have to crank them down to secure your load, just pull them tight & they keep the tension on their own. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
For years I used the Ancra wheel tie downs as lashing straps, but there was a problem with them backing off. I personally thing ratchet type straps are overkill in any motorcycle application, even when tying them to a trailer…they are a recipe for disaster.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014