ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to make neat holes in airbox? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860964)

cat 02-05-2013 05:26 AM

How to make neat holes in airbox?
 
How to make neat holes in airbox?
Can i use a hole punch or would it crack the plastic?
A sheet metal punch, the kind that you drill a pilot hole and then tighten the tool and...?

eddie bolted 02-05-2013 05:27 AM

Hole saw.!

LuciferMutt 02-05-2013 05:34 AM

:stupid

Why are you putting holes in the airbox?

It'sNotTheBike 02-05-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciferMutt (Post 20653846)
:stupid

Why are you putting holes in the airbox?


Probably because the OP imagines the trained engineers who designed the air intake
botched the job, though those engineers had access to a dyno and more than likely spent
many hours making sure the airflow was optimized for the resonant cavity of the air box,
( think of Helmholtz and you will be on the right track).


How likely is it that the engineers did a bad job and someone who needs to ask how
best to cut holes in the air box will do a better job ? Sort of like leaving an orangutang
in front of a typewriter and waiting for the sonnets of Shakespeare to be produced
( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter ).




.

Wlfman 02-05-2013 06:25 AM

1in putty knife. Heat the blade and it melts right thru the plastic making nice straight lines.

It'sNotTheBike 02-05-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wlfman (Post 20654109)
1in putty knife. Heat the blade and it melts right thru the plastic making nice straight lines.



You shade tree wannabe "tuners" will have that air box working "right" in no time ... LOL !!!

groundrules 02-05-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike (Post 20654077)
Probably because the OP imagines the trained engineers who designed the air intake
botched the job, though those engineers had access to a dyno and more than likely spent
many hours making sure the airflow was optimized for the resonant cavity of the air box,
( think of Helmholtz and you will be on the right track).


How likely is it that the engineers did a bad job and someone who needs to ask how
best to cut holes in the air box will do a better job ? Sort of like leaving an orangutang
in front of a typewriter and waiting for the sonnets of Shakespeare to be produced
( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter ).

you don't sound as smart as you think you sound.

Foot dragger 02-05-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike (Post 20654077)
Probably because the OP imagines the trained engineers who designed the air intake
botched the job, though those engineers had access to a dyno and more than likely spent
many hours making sure the airflow was optimized for the resonant cavity of the air box,
( think of Helmholtz and you will be on the right track).


How likely is it that the engineers did a bad job and someone who needs to ask how
best to cut holes in the air box will do a better job ? Sort of like leaving an orangutang
in front of a typewriter and waiting for the sonnets of Shakespeare to be produced
( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter ).




.

Your right,it seems like a great idea to swiss cheese your airbox,till that first real dusty ride and the filter plugs or passes dirt. Or you just cant quite get the jetting right no matter how much you mess with it,or the new noise produced makes you crazy.
Its fun to second guess engineers though.

groundrules 02-05-2013 07:41 AM

you guys really think every bike shipped from the factory is tuned for maximum performance, or do you think the engineers in question might have had to consider factors like fuel economy or emissions standards or rider-friendly power delivery, or a hundred other factors? I've owned two bikes where airbox mods were a well-documented and much-utilized improvement. It happens.

now, back to the original question: step drill for small holes.

kubiak 02-05-2013 07:59 AM

i havent tried it yet but try a piece of metal pipe the diameter you need and heat the end and push it through the plastic. maybe try it on a extra part first though.

Skinner 02-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundrules (Post 20654613)
you guys really think every bike shipped from the factory is tuned for maximum performance, or do you think the engineers in question might have had to consider factors like fuel economy or emissions standards or rider-friendly power delivery, or a hundred other factors? I've owned two bikes where airbox mods were a well-documented and much-utilized improvement. It happens.

now, back to the original question: step drill for small holes.

CORRECT!

It's easy to be a smart ass, it's hard to actually use your brain before just being a dick.

bomber60015 02-05-2013 08:15 AM

Hole saw or step drill, either one . . . . but back up the plastic with something (soft wood, perhaps) or you may create a hole that is larger than you intended . . . . . (depending on the plastic)

Bronco638 02-05-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat
Q: How to make neat holes in airbox?

A: A sheet metal punch, the kind that you drill a pilot hole and then tighten the tool.

I have used this method to good effect.

H96669 02-05-2013 08:39 AM

Step drill....they are cheap at harbor freight. I think mine will go to an inch. Anything bigger and out comes the hole saws. But you need backing for the last otherwise you'll tear the plastic.:cry

You can countersink the holes....may help with airflow.:wink:

Smaller holes with side access, out comes dad's old airplane tools, namely the sheet metal punch. I think HF has cheap replicas of that tool.:wink:

kruzuki 02-05-2013 09:17 AM

And remember to keep the drill speed low so the friction doesn't melt the plastic and ruin your nice, clean edge.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014