ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Front tire choice (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861008)

kellymac530 02-05-2013 09:32 AM

Front tire choice

I know everyone is sick of tire threads but I am in a wierd spot.
I am building a custom BMW R1100 with inverted telescopic forks on and a 21" front wheel instead of the telelever and 19" front.

Since almost no one has a 21" front tire on any BMW GS or GSA I have no reference for what is a good front tire for a heavier adventure bike.

Even if there are guys who ride dirt on GSs they seem to like a street bias.

What are you Orange folks using for a dirt biased tire on your big bikes?

I know I should not waste my time with my piggy, but it is what is.

I used D606 tires on my 530 excr and was not a fan in the dirt. they were just mediocre on street and on dirt. I usually used a 606 rear with a D752 front...not street legal but it worked great on pavement and was the best on dirt by far.

I am running a Kenda Big Block on the rear for a starter, we will see how that works, but I am curious on the front.

I know I do not belong here on this page, but I am in a wierd middle spot. Thanks for any input you folks have, I do love my Orange :D

el queso 02-05-2013 10:33 AM

The TKC80, Pirelli MT21 and Dunlop 908 seem to be popular choices for a dirt oriented front tire. I have run the MT21's and thought the front was pretty similar to the 606 (hated the rear). Next time I'll try the 908 up front.

FakeName 02-05-2013 11:10 AM

The 606 sux on my 525, but is pretty good on the 990. I'm not fond of it on the street.

Off Road Ryder 02-05-2013 11:33 AM

I loved my Gs, always wanted to do a fork conversion, but alas the mighty 950 came into my life.. Theres no going back.
Stay away from the TKC, soft sidewalls equal pinch flats, and crap in real dirt.
I like the MT21, haven't tried the 908 front.

bigdave-gs 02-05-2013 12:09 PM

Even though I ride a GS, I run the TKC80 on the front. I'm waiting for KTM to bring the 1190 R Adventure to the US so I can test ride it. If it does as well as I'm hoping, it will replace my R1150GS Adventure. Looked hard at the 990 R but it really would have taken a lot of money to make it the bike I'm looking for.

DirtyADV 02-05-2013 12:14 PM

Metzler Karoo 2T is also an option for a dirt oriented front that can survive some on tarmac also, done more then 10 000 km on one, most of it tarmac with some dirt.

/Johan

BoulderGuy 02-05-2013 01:03 PM

I really like the TKC 80. OK in dirt, good on pavement and wears pretty good. Loved the Pirelli MT21's and the Dunlop 606's offroad but they were completely destroyed after a long weekend! They were kind of scary on pavement as well....

mdfehrmann 02-05-2013 01:55 PM

I really enjoyed the Pirelli Scorpion Rally Front I ran this season, got tons of miles out of it. ( I'd have to check totals but it's over 4k and still looking good)
I run a 1.6" wide 21" front rim, street pressure all the time, your results may vary.
It's noisy on the road, hooks up well in the dirt, I didn't fall on my head on the street, I'll run another for sure.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ion_rally.html

kellymac530 02-05-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks for the input folks. You could have beat me up a bit for riding the competition and what a waste of time I am doing, but you guys came through. Maybe you saw my Avatar and felt pity...:roflNot my bike btw.

So the thought of a 606 on the big bike being better than on a thumper is interesting. I am aware that I will NOT be pushing the big beast anywhere near my 530, so maybe the 606 will be better. But then I did not like it on the tar either.

The Pirelli MT21 looks interesting. What kind of life are you folks getting out of those and what ratio of dirt/street?

The 908 has been a thought, good reminder on that one, pricey, but an option. The Metzler Karoo 2T looks too far spaced out on tread blocks to retain any smooth ride on the tar. I could be wrong of course, but looks like a sand tire almost like a Dunlop MX31 or Pirelli Scorpion which I hated on my 530, way to spaced out tread.

Cost is a factor, not that I will not pay $200 for a front, but only if it is THAT much better than others.

Smooth on the tarmac, and good traction in the dirt with fair life for fair price. If that makes sense. I would rather a tire slip a bit on the street, if predictable...but stick in the dirt. I am sure that will sound stupid to some. I hope you know what I mean

el queso 02-05-2013 04:04 PM

I had 606s on a KLR 650 for many years and i really liked them. Even in the canyons they held pretty well, and when they started to lose grip, they were very predictable. I did get a lot of pinch flats though...

bigdave-gs 02-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 20657769)
Thanks for the input folks. You could have beat me up a bit for riding the competition and what a waste of time I am doing, but you guys came through. Maybe you saw my Avatar and felt pity...:roflNot my bike btw.

So the thought of a 606 on the big bike being better than on a thumper is interesting. I am aware that I will NOT be pushing the big beast anywhere near my 530, so maybe the 606 will be better. But then I did not like it on the tar either.

The Pirelli MT21 looks interesting. What kind of life are you folks getting out of those and what ratio of dirt/street?

The 908 has been a thought, good reminder on that one, pricey, but an option. The Metzler Karoo 2T looks too far spaced out on tread blocks to retain any smooth ride on the tar. I could be wrong of course, but looks like a sand tire almost like a Dunlop MX31 or Pirelli Scorpion which I hated on my 530, way to spaced out tread.

Cost is a factor, not that I will not pay $200 for a front, but only if it is THAT much better than others.

Smooth on the tarmac, and good traction in the dirt with fair life for fair price. If that makes sense. I would rather a tire slip a bit on the street, if predictable...but stick in the dirt. I am sure that will sound stupid to some. I hope you know what I mean

I can tell you this, I have run the Karoo on the front of my BMW and while it did an OK job both street and dirt, it didn't last very long. I went back to the TKC80's and it will carve a paved road like you wouldn't beleave and does very well off road. I average around 10,000 miles on the front TKC80 before the knobbies wear so unevenly that I start getting vibrations. I run AirSoft BB's front and rear to balance my tires and I think this helps my tire milage as well. I have found that 0.55 oz in the front and 1.0 oz in the rear balances the tires up to my top speed of 116 mph. I run the Tourance in the rear because I haven't found a rear knobbie that I can get more that 2000 miles out of. :cry When I go down to the Gulf Coast I will take a TKC80 rear so I can ride in the sand and then change back to the Tourance for the ride back home.

Off Road Ryder 02-05-2013 06:00 PM

I get about 4 to 5 K out of a front Mt 21,Thats pushing the bike fairly hard. I find it very stable on the road. Off course one guys idea of stable is another's nightmare. Its all about expectations:deal. If your doing that mod it sounds like more off road ability is what your after. With the 21, I imagine your running tubes, so pinch flats become an issue.. Hint, strong sidewall, especially on a GS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 20657769)

Scott Baja 02-05-2013 06:21 PM

I like the front TKC on my KTM. It handles well on pavement, and tears it up on dirt. As far as a soft sidewall and any kind of flats, I never air down, as I only air down in deep sand, and have not had the occasion to do so with this tire. Its worn out now, and I will be replacing with another. Still searching for a rear tire I like, but thats the 18 inch, and dosnt apply to you. Buy the way, I had a R1100GS and loved it. Just to let you know, the KTM stole my heart..........:freaky

kellymac530 02-06-2013 10:54 AM

Anyone use the Mitas Dakar E09?
I know it is a pita to get here in the states, but if it is worth it...pita does not mean I can't.

bigdave-gs 02-06-2013 02:21 PM

Never ran an E-09 myself but have heard from other inmates that it is very soft and doesn't get very good milage. I've heard the E-10 is a better highway milage tire that still has good enough knobbies for off road, but the cost difference in a Mitas and the TKC isn't justifiable to me.........

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:22 PM.