ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   San Felipe to Bay of LA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861220)

stevodadevo 02-06-2013 10:08 AM

San Felipe to Bay of LA

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a big bike friendly way to get from San Felipe to Bay of LA off-road. I know the main road is now paved just about all the way and I don't feel like droning on for 200 miles.

I'm aware of the "old" road that leaves San Felipe at the edge of town but that is used as part of the race course. The last time I was on it, it was beat up! Huge whoops and sand. Maybe I could pick up that road further south, maybe at Percebu?

oldxr 02-06-2013 10:58 PM

By main road are referring to hwy1?Any way I have heard that the road south from San Felipe is a paved new highway until 3 miles north of gonzaga bay.After that same old stuff past Coco's out to hwy 1.Nothing a r1200gs or krm 990 cant handle.The road between gonzaga bay and Coco's is sandy.Coco's to hwy 1 is gravel.Hoping to be down there soon.

stevodadevo 02-07-2013 08:53 PM

Yes that's what I meant. I hate that the road is paved so far. I was down last year and there were still many miles of graded dirt roads.

Thanks for the update.

mcnut 02-08-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevodadevo (Post 20675030)
I hate that the road is paved so far. I was down last year and there were still many miles of graded dirt roads.

Something of a loss to the dirt crowd but a gain for the pavement folks. Still many more dirt routes in Baja then could be covered in a lifetime. Though special, the route south from San Felipe had become well known and traveled in recent years. I seem to recall RRs of sport bikes on the route, one double-up! When one door closes another opens, time to pioneer some fresh options.

Bruce

Roostn 08-03-2013 11:15 AM

You can spice it up a bit and ride the Calamejue Wash. Supposedly there are some tracks through there. I have not done it myself though.

But the road is paved all the way to Gonzaga? Is there any reason to stay in San Felipe anymore? We are looking at a trip and I was thinking of staying at San Felipe and riding south from there. Now maybe we drive to Gonzaga and start the trip from there.

MJS 08-03-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roostn (Post 22019590)
You can spice it up a bit and ride the Calamejue Wash. Supposedly there are some tracks through there. I have not done it myself though.

But the road is paved all the way to Gonzaga? Is there any reason to stay in San Felipe anymore? We are looking at a trip and I was thinking of staying at San Felipe and riding south from there. Now maybe we drive to Gonzaga and start the trip from there.

As of July 2013, the pavement ends halfway up the hill (south side of new bridge) before dropping down to the military checkpoint just prior to the Gonzaga turnoff. I guess where you stay depends on where you want to go?

I wouldn't recommend Calamejue for a 1200GS unless you really like deep sand :evil I've done it on HP2s and 950SE. While I have no doubt I could get my GS through there, it just wouldn't be much fun. On a smaller bike it's a blast.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:03 PM.