ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Montana 650 - Loss Satellite Reception (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861427)

gtj 02-07-2013 09:04 AM

Montana 650 - Loss Satellite Reception

Hi There,

I recently purchased the City Navigator and loaded it into my Montana 650 for use on my motorcycle.
The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky. The error seems to mainly occur after making a turn and accelerating whereby the pointer heads off at an angle kind of bisected by the road turned onto and the original direction, then the error message shows up. It takes a km or two before re-establishing the satellites and showing proper progression on the unit. I have never encountered this problem before while using the unit for hiking, kayaking or on my ATV, although these uses would be at lower speeds.

Anyone else experience a similar fault?
Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn

bighopper 02-07-2013 09:31 AM

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like you might have a loose receiver in the unit. I seem to remember someone earlier have this issue & repair it, but I think they were maybe in a remote location.

I'd call Garmin Support in Canada 1-866-429-9296 it's usually fast connecting & log your problem.

Emmbeedee 02-07-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj (Post 20670276)
Hi There,

I recently purchased the City Navigator and loaded it into my Montana 650 for use on my motorcycle.
The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky. The error seems to mainly occur after making a turn and accelerating whereby the pointer heads off at an angle kind of bisected by the road turned onto and the original direction, then the error message shows up. It takes a km or two before re-establishing the satellites and showing proper progression on the unit. I have never encountered this problem before while using the unit for hiking, kayaking or on my ATV, although these uses would be at lower speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn

I've never had that kind of problem but my wife's 650 lost its antenna connection internally once, and we needed to send it in under warranty for replacement. The antenna problem we had was not intermittent. It was no longer receiving a signal unless we connected an external antenna.

Is your Montana getting interference from other electronics on your bike, or do you have multiple maps enabled, causing a slowdown?

Albie 02-08-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmbeedee (Post 20674955)
Is your Montana getting interference from other electronics on your bike, or do you have multiple maps enabled, causing a slowdown?

If you use a XM radio or radar detector, these devices can sometimes cause interference if they are next to the GPS.

Emmbeedee 02-08-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albie (Post 20678280)
If you use a XM radio or radar detector, these devices can sometimes cause interference if they are next to the GPS.

Wouldn't be a radar detector, that's for sure. Ontario has strict laws against their use.

OceanMtnSea 02-08-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Hi There,

Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn

Check this post........it might help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798472

gtj 02-08-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmbeedee (Post 20674955)
I've never had that kind of problem but my wife's 650 lost its antenna connection internally once, and we needed to send it in under warranty for replacement. The antenna problem we had was not intermittent. It was no longer receiving a signal unless we connected an external antenna.

Mine is just intermittent as described.
Only have the City Navigator enabled when used on the motorcycle.
?

gtj 02-08-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albie (Post 20678280)

No XM radio.
No radar detector. OPP (Ontario Police) take them and ticket you for having those.
I do have a Scala Rider with Bluetooth connection to my cell phone. Could this be causing any interference?

gtj 02-08-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea (Post 20680642)
Check this post........it might help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798472

Thanks for this link. Very well done "hardening" description!
I will keep this in mind.

FWIW - BTW I get out to SK occassionally, as my daughter lives there. Close to Edam.

9Dave 02-10-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky.

Where on the bike do you have the gps mounted?

gtj 02-11-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9Dave (Post 20691767)
Where on the bike do you have the gps mounted?

AMPS rugged mount on the handlebar center between riser clamps

9Dave 02-12-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj (Post 20705086)
AMPS rugged mount on the handlebar center between riser clamps

Then you should be getting decent signal most all of the time.

I'd suggest calling Garmin for a tech consult and likely a warranty claim. Without any obstructions, you shouldn't be losing signal like that.

gtj 03-05-2013 06:15 AM

Just an update.
I did contact Garmin with regards to this issue, but they didn't have any suggestions. Just said if it continues to happen, that I may have to send the unit in to be looked at.
As mentioned previously, I do have a Scala intercomm system. Yesterday while riding, I encountered the frequent loss of satellite reception messages and odd tracking lines on the GPS (Montana 650t) over a 2 hour stent, as described earlier.
I turned the Scala Rider off while riding and behold, perfect tracking and no loss of of reception with the GPS performing beautifully for 1-1/2 hours. It seems the ScalaRider is in some way causing the interference problem.
I do have the Scala Rider "bluetoothed" to my Samsung Android phone.
I may try to remove the BT connection and test it again to see if the BT is causing the problem by itself. I am not optimistic with this, though as other Garmin products run BT successfully.
Any one else running a Scala Rider G9 with a Montana 6XX successfully?

Emmbeedee 03-05-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj (Post 20869432)
Just an update.
I did contact Garmin with regards to this issue, but they didn't have any suggestions. Just said if it continues to happen, that I may have to send the unit in to be looked at.
As mentioned previously, I do have a Scala intercomm system. Yesterday while riding, I encountered the frequent loss of satellite reception messages and odd tracking lines on the GPS (Montana 650t) over a 2 hour stent, as described earlier.
I turned the Scala Rider off while riding and behold, perfect tracking and no loss of of reception with the GPS performing beautifully for 1-1/2 hours. It seems the ScalaRider is in some way causing the interference problem.
I may try to remove the BT connection and test it again to see if the BT is causing the problem by itself. I am not optimistic with this, though as other Garmin products run BT successfully.

My wife and I use our Scala G4 intercoms with no problem at all on the Montanas.

gtj 03-07-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj (Post 20869432)
Just an update.

Update:

I did a 2 hour ride and experimented with the Scala Rider G9 turned off and the Montana functioned perfectly. As soon as I turned the Scala Rider on, the Montana GPS acted up with poor tracking, incorrect navigation and Loss of satellite reception. I also gave a go at (i) having the Bluetooth function on my phone turned off and (ii) the phone itself turned off with the Scala Rider left on in the previous two scenarios, but the GPS still acted up in these circumstances.

Unfortunately, I have to assume the Scala Rider G9 and Montana 650t are incompatible in my setup? http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon13.gif

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:49 AM.