ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Retired Riders (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863038)

rockyroad 02-13-2013 10:55 PM

Retired Riders
 
I'm looking to see if there is anyone else in the area that shares my problem. My problem is from the first of April till about mid November I have nothing to do but ride, ride, ride and ride some more. I plan on doing a bunch of 1, 2, 3, and 4 day trips all over the northwest, with a big emphasis on the back roads of the eastern half of Oregon and Washington. I plan on doing mostly remote camping or developed camp grounds, maybe a yurt or two but very few motels if any. So if your getting on in years and you want to get some seroius rideing time in before you go the way of the dinosaur give me a shout.
Enjoy the ride

ORexpat 02-13-2013 11:01 PM

Well, RR, I'm interested . . . just retired for the second time myself. We're in the middle of putting our house together, then have to help the #2 daughter get to US Army BOLC at the end of this month.

I've volunteered for the BMW national rally in July, and want to do the Chief Joseph Rally (grew up in John Day) and hopefully the Stanley Stomp (led Outward Bound trips out of Grandjean Campground os-so-long-ago).

With all that said, I'm up for some riding. Paved or gravel, no matter. I'm a little old for really gnarly dirt, though if there's young'ns around to help pick up the bike I'd be tempted . . .

Do like to camp. Motels are for when the wife's along in her car . . . :lol3

Marine By Choice 02-13-2013 11:33 PM

I will be retiring July 1st and plan to put a lot of miles on in preparation for a 37 day motorcycle tour of South Africa in October and November. My best friend s retiring the same day and is also touring with me. He lives in Mt Vernon. I live in Winlock (south of Chehalis). PM me when you are planning a ride. Doesn't have to be after July 1. Anytime works for me.

Scott_PDX 02-13-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 20721648)
I'm looking to see if there is anyone else in the area that shares my problem. My problem is from the first of April till about mid November I have nothing to do but ride, ride, ride and ride some more. I plan on doing a bunch of 1, 2, 3, and 4 day trips all over the northwest, with a big emphasis on the back roads of the eastern half of Oregon and Washington. I plan on doing mostly remote camping or developed camp grounds, maybe a yurt or two but very few motels if any. So if your getting on in years and you want to get some seroius rideing time in before you go the way of the dinosaur give me a shout.
Enjoy the ride

Work sux...but I know you retired guys sometimes don't look at the calendar so much, and often don't even know what day it is. So, ff you happen to find some of those trips end up being on a weekend, give me a shout, I'd be proud to ride with ya anytime.

Warin 02-13-2013 11:57 PM

Get going
 
When I was younger and working I managed to get 12 months off work.
After 6 months of touring on the bike I had forgot what month it was, but I was really well organized for packing/unpacking. You do remember the seasons though when it snows! :roflI flew from Europe to Sir Lanka to get back to the sun :D

Now being retired you should be able to spend much more time away from home than 1 or 2 days at a stretch.... go see stuff that is a long way away .... meet the SO when you get there? Do it while you can.

Squishy 02-14-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warin (Post 20721843)
When I was younger and working I managed to get 12 months off work.
After 6 months of touring on the bike I had forgot what month it was, but I was really well organized for packing/unpacking. You do remember the seasons though when it snows! :roflI flew from Europe to Sir Lanka to get back to the sun :D

Now being retired you should be able to spend much more time away from home than 1 or 2 days at a stretch.... go see stuff that is a long way away .... meet the SO when you get there? Do it while you can.


Don't put any wild thoughts into his head, i enjoy riding OR & WA with him! Is that selfish?:D

Danodemotoman 02-14-2013 03:48 PM

Sounds good to this retired guy. My calendar sometimes is full but but likley to squeeze in more rides.
I prefer to camp with one reason keeping the traveling cost down.
I ride ST, DS and ADV.
I am in Graham, south of Puyallup.

kwisn 02-14-2013 09:11 PM

I'm not tired again, I'm just still tired. Your future adventures sound great, please post 'em up as you ride them.

Idahosam 02-15-2013 09:39 AM

Hello Rockyroad, from over here in Idaho. I too have plenty of time to ride and have done so; find myself doing a lot of solo rides on back roads and forest services roads. I too camp and cheap motel.. mostly camp. Last year I went south of the border and spent almost 4 months on the road. :clap This up coming year will be closer to home... lots to explore in our own backyard. I have found slowing down a bit and taking in the scenery and carrying a fishing pole for those interesting spots one runs across to be enlightening.

Yes, Ride while you can! Hope to be reading some of your exploits here in the future.

See you out there :ricky

wa.tarider 02-15-2013 07:27 PM

Old farts that ride
 
Well, I don't think being retired and able to ride is a problem :evil. You could post up some ideas and dates for rides and we could make some plans. Three of us did a 900 mile loop around S.E. Oregon last May and had a ball. More on the plate for this year. Alvord and N. California this spring.
Have fun and keep us posted.
Norm

k7tbt 02-15-2013 11:41 PM

Just turned 65, retired Naval Officer, ride a KLR650. Last summer road from NW Washington through the Ice field Parkway in Banff and Jasper to Dawson Creek Milepost 0 to the end of the Alaska Hwy. From there to Deadhorse and back then the TOW road to Dawson City. Cassier Hwy back to NW Washington. Twenty eight days, 6500 miles tenting the whole way. Looking for more adventure this next summer....Ron:freaky

Squishy 02-16-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7tbt (Post 20737031)
Just turned 65, retired Naval Officer, ride a KLR650. Last summer road from NW Washington through the Ice field Parkway in Banff and Jasper to Dawson Creek Milepost 0 to the end of the Alaska Hwy. From there to Deadhorse and back then the TOW road to Dawson City. Cassier Hwy back to NW Washington. Twenty eight days, 6500 miles tenting the whole way. Looking for more adventure this next summer....Ron:freaky

Wow, what a journey! A young man would be proud to say he'd done that!:D Good on ya :thumb

rockyroad 02-20-2013 12:25 AM

Hi Guys
It looks likes there's a handful of guys out there who are retired and free to do a lot of riding this summer. I'll keep everybodies name who replied to this post and be in touch as we get a little closer to some better weather. I'll spend
the next month putting together some two and three day ride ideas. It's a liitle tuff in early spring with the snow in the Cascades but we'll see how the spring snowmelt progresses. I'm open to any one else who might have an idea for a ride. I'm open to pavement, gravel or dirt riding but prefer to stay away from the nastier dirt and single track. I have a bad knee and bad shoulder that just won't tolerate tooooo much abuse. I also don't have to be going full throttle all the time to have a good days ride..Although there is something to be said for doing 60 or 70 on the right dirt road.
Any way post up any thoughts you have. Hope to meet up with you all soon.
Enjoy the ride

rockyroad 02-20-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_PDX (Post 20721808)
Work sux...but I know you retired guys sometimes don't look at the calendar so much, and often don't even know what day it is. So, ff you happen to find some of those trips end up being on a weekend, give me a shout, I'd be proud to ride with ya anytime.

Hi Scott
Being retired is pretty cool, being old not so much. Save those pennies and retire early.
Any time your looking to ride and can't find someone to go with try me.
I just found out I don't need that stomach surgery yet so I won't be down next month.
Now my only problem is getting that 950 up and running. It's been in the shop for 10 weeks now and
tomorrow I pick it up and take it to a new shop and see if they can figure it out.

Danodemotoman 02-20-2013 12:33 PM

Yep cheaper riding but retired early.
KLR and C10 Connie.

[QUOTE=rockyroad;20766941]Hi Scott
Being retired is pretty cool, being old not so much. Save those pennies and retire early.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014