ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Nitrile Gloves for Shop Work-which weight? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864633)

kantuckid 02-20-2013 09:31 AM

Nitrile Gloves for Shop Work-which weight?

I've been buying the HF blue 5 mil gloves for shop work & they last for a bit around oily/wrenching jobs but now looking at ebay(where there are many choices of weight) & also HF has a black 9mil glove thats a little more expensive. The blue cheapies will not take much solvent but I have heavier paint stripper type gloves for those few jobs. I do like the feel you keep with the cheapie gloves. Has anyone tried the 9 mil HF gloves & if so do they cause you to lose the feel quality? Do they last much longer? Obviously the trick is to have a balance between longer wear , feel & protection.:ear
I'm not concerned with if they're sterile or allergy issues.

bomber60015 02-20-2013 04:20 PM

I've been using cheap 5 mil gloves for a while . . . .I thought about moving up to thincker, but realized that I generally removed the gloves (scratch ass, go inside and pee, grab a beverage) before I destroyed em . . . . stronger gloves would simply be more expense for not much of a gain . . . .

think about YOUR usage -- it may be similar

HapHazard 02-20-2013 06:11 PM

A friend of mine (who does way more wrenching than me) tried a box of the black HF gloves and thought they lasted about the same as the blues - or if there was any difference, maybe a bit shorter. They also have less "feel". YMMV.

kantuckid 02-21-2013 07:59 AM

I also see a HF glove thats 7 mil- in box of 50 instead of the 100 for the 5 mil & have textured fingers too. reminds me of buying trash bags!

The Shifty Jesus 02-21-2013 08:29 AM

I order 10-12 mil latex gloves. Yes they are more expensive, but they tend to last at least 2 days of constant use, where I blow through the cheap gloves in a box from anywhere local in sometimes minutes.

Latex is a bit stronger than Nitrile.

We keep a bottle of Gold Bond next to the box of gloves; a little sprinkle and they slide right back on like new.

I made the mistake of ordering black gloves once. Cool and all, but I couldn't see when my hands were covered with filth before grabbing something I didn't want filthy.

If I need anything more resistant to chemicals, I use cheap kitchen gloves from the grocery store.

These are my favorites at the moment: http://www.microflex.com/Products/SG-375.aspx

kantuckid 02-21-2013 11:23 AM

I have a pair of orange chemical resistant gloves from Walmart that work for items like paint remover. Too pricey for wrenching but thin enough to do other jobs & are good stuff.
How does latex handle lacquer thinner when washing paint guns? Thin nitrile falls apart in a minute.

74C5 02-21-2013 02:12 PM

I use either although prefer 9.
Trick I learned from some techs at work is to wear two pair. One stays on underneath and you change out the outer one. This works with the thinner gloves that can tear due to use or, just from getting wiped off.

gsweave 02-21-2013 08:32 PM

Min. 8 mil

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0600337

Fastenal carries em

D.T. 02-21-2013 08:51 PM

We have tons of 4 mil gloves (blue nitrile) at work. They are pretty light duty and rip fairly easily. OK for light duty jobs.

The best ones are 8 mil gloves for the heavy duty stuff.

kantuckid 02-22-2013 07:35 AM

Still have the question on how well latex handles solvent-not paint stripper but lacquer thinner type stuff for limited exposure.

Turbo Ghost 02-22-2013 07:54 AM

Not sure on the solvent question but, my guess would be latex would go French pretty quickly!
I use the black heavy duty nitrile gloves from harbor freight. I keep a little bottle of talc in my toolbox so they slide on and off easily. They stand up to a lot of abuse and when I'm done, I just take them off and lay them down with the palms facing so I keep them matched to the same hands and I can use one pair for several days unless I manage to tear them. The blue and purple ones just don't hold up.

xcflyn 02-22-2013 08:26 AM

I was hung up on Nitrile "had to be black" looks cool and 7mil. By mistake I got some gay white laytex (blue dimond-Amazon) gloves. Guess I may be getting a little light on my feet :toney I wont ever go back to black nitrile . As mentioned it is also nice to see if they are dirty before you touch something you dont want ruined. Seems no matter how clean my hands are my sandwhich has finger prints on it ? Somene should make a cheese sandwhich handcleaner - seems those two things pull every bit of grime out of my fingers.

H96669 02-22-2013 08:48 AM

I am a little low on Lacquer thinner but dipped a fingertip in a capfull, left it there for a while and it held up. Mind you them Latex I have here may be a touch better than the HFs.:wink:

kantuckid 02-22-2013 06:41 PM

In my ebay search I saw nitrile,latex and vinyl-whats good/bad about the vinyl ? The price is right.

broncobowsher 02-22-2013 06:46 PM

I liked the older black nitril/latex gloves that HF no longer sells. Since I had to go shopping for new version I started with a box of the 9 mil. Tight on the palm while still a little baggy on the fingers. tight enough for mild discomfort. Still not that strong. They can tear easy and swell with many strong chemicals. Also not happy with only a 50 pack.

Last box, the light blue 5 mil. They fit better (same size). Not as restrictive. The thinner material acts like it is more durable to tears. I don't know how or why or even if it really is true. But I am doing better with the lighter ones. They are OK for incidental chemical contact, slightly better then the 9 mil version. But I would not be dunking my hands in nasty stuff with any of the gloves. Get real gloves for nasty work.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:09 PM.