ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Shipping a Bike to America (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866343)

_lee 02-26-2013 07:59 PM

Shipping a Bike to America
 
I want to purchase a Moto Guzzi in Europe, ride around Europe for my honeymoon, and then ship the bike back to the states.

I am hoping to have it delivered to Minneapolis or Chicago.

Any sources would be greatly appreciated.

High Country Herb 02-27-2013 11:49 AM

Are there any issues with registering a Europe bike in the USA? I don't know the answer for Minnesota, but know it would be difficult in California.

_lee 02-28-2013 11:21 AM

Updated information
 
Please note that the US Dept. of Transportation requires one of the following for import :

1) Vehicles be older than 25 years old

2) Vehicles UNDER 25 years old must have proof of EPA and DOT conformity in the form of authorized stickers or documents issued by a US state or the manufacturer.

3) Offroad or Racing vehicles must have a racing schedule or be a temporary import (1 yr)

4) Temporary Import -- 1 yr of touring for a vacation/race/etc.

5) US state TITLED bike returning to the US*
*note: If your bike is a US MADE MOTORCYCLE -- It does not mean it was made for the US market. Therefore it will require the EPA and DOT conformity or a US title.


3,000 for the first source found

lanceputnam 03-01-2013 11:21 AM

I would speak with the guzzi dealership about it. They have ways of making it happen. BMW and Porsche both offer it, I have a couple buddies who are in the Military and were stationed in Germany that bought M3's while they were over there through BMW. They offer some sort of prgram where you can pick it up at the factory, tour with it and then drop it back off and then like 6 weeks later it shows up at your local dealership. Its not cheap as I recall they both paid somehwere around 3k on top of the price of the car for it but thats what they wanted.

ajklik 03-03-2013 02:21 AM

maybe the horizon website would help?
 
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tri...eryResults.php

try the horizon website, they have lots of info about shipments,
albert

_lee 03-04-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceputnam (Post 20840447)
I would speak with the guzzi dealership about it. They have ways of making it happen. BMW and Porsche both offer it, I have a couple buddies who are in the Military and were stationed in Germany that bought M3's while they were over there through BMW. They offer some sort of prgram where you can pick it up at the factory, tour with it and then drop it back off and then like 6 weeks later it shows up at your local dealership. Its not cheap as I recall they both paid somehwere around 3k on top of the price of the car for it but thats what they wanted.


This has been surprisingly hard to try to connect with Moto Guzzi. I have tried through the contact information on their site, but it seems as if I am getting routed to a generic response center.

_lee 03-06-2013 11:09 AM

Moto guzzi support
 
Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for contacting Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. We currently do not have a European delivery program and do not assist individuals with importation into the United States of new or used scooters or other vehicles manufactured by Piaggio.

In addition, Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. cannot provide any statements or documentation stating scooters/or other vehicles manufactured by Piaggio from other countries meet US standards.

The US versions are specifically produced for the US market and shipped to us the subsidiary, Piaggio Group Americas, Inc., for distribution to the US dealer network. Vehicles built for specific markets may not conform to Homologation and Licensing requirements in other countries and we do not have information regarding the specs for scooters or motorcycles manufactured for other countries.

Mortis (the Brit) 03-06-2013 11:24 AM

If you do find one this side of the pond, try using these to sort out transportation for it to the states. I'm going to use them when I finally get around to organising my trip around the US and A.


http://www.hctravel.com/

usgser 03-09-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _lee (Post 20832055)
Please note that the US Dept. of Transportation requires one of the following for import :

1) Vehicles be older than 25 years old

2) Vehicles UNDER 25 years old must have proof of EPA and DOT conformity in the form of authorized stickers or documents issued by a US state or the manufacturer.

Yup #2 is gonna bite you big time trying to get a new bike through Customs/DOT and released to you. If it doesn't meet current EPA/DOT specs (it won't) there's a time limit I think 90 days(?) to have it brought up to US specs. Must be done correctly and with proper paperwork and relating stickers "from the manufacturer". By the time you have that done(even if possible) you'll have burnt up at least any savings or more money than buying one in the US. Again there's a time limit on this. If it expires they crush the bike. Yup the process is insanely complicated and expensive and risky on purpose to discourage people from what you're trying to do.
Unless you're a rich masochist that just loves banging heads with gov bureaucracy forget the plan and buy a bike here or import a 25 year old one.

_lee 03-10-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgser (Post 20905656)
Yup #2 is gonna bite you big time trying to get a new bike through Customs/DOT and released to you. If it doesn't meet current EPA/DOT specs (it won't) there's a time limit I think 90 days(?) to have it brought up to US specs. Must be done correctly and with proper paperwork and relating stickers "from the manufacturer". By the time you have that done(even if possible) you'll have burnt up at least any savings or more money than buying one in the US. Again there's a time limit on this. If it expires they crush the bike. Yup the process is insanely complicated and expensive and risky on purpose to discourage people from what you're trying to do.
Unless you're a rich masochist that just loves banging heads with gov bureaucracy forget the plan and buy a bike here or import a 25 year old one.



So after many emails to many European manufacturers, European companies that produce US bikes don't have them available at their respective countries. BMW was at least kind enough to cordially tell me to beat it. Moto Guzzi flat out told me to stop trying to put money in their pocket.

My current plans have shifted to either shipping my triumph scrambler over the pond or to rent a bike.

Ancillary to this, I am thinking I might sell the KLR and look at a R1200GS ADV.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014