ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Camel Tank- F650/700/800GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872418)

Camel ADV 03-20-2013 10:49 PM

Camel Tank- F650/700/800GS
 
Time to pull the curtain back on a project I have been working on for a while.

I love my F800 and have since I bought it. My only real complaint is the fuel range of the stock bike. I tried a few extra fuel options. All had their pluses and minuses. Ultimately, I wasn't totally happy with the options available.

I started plotting and planning a couple years ago with these needs in mind:

-hold roughly 2 gallons
-not interfere with a top box or duffle bag
-work with hard panniers and racks
-not require a fuel pump for transfer

I'm sure some of you figured out what was going on with these threads:

What panniers are you running thread

Auxiliary fuel tank thread

Here's what I came up with.
http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0186-L.jpg


MCMXCIVRS was kind enough to let me install the tank on his BMW pannier equipped F800 to test the fit.

http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0158-L.jpg

http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0160-L.jpg

http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0163-L.jpg

http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0167-L.jpg

http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0172-L.jpg

toowheels 03-20-2013 11:33 PM

Wow!! :eek1

Looks great!! Very polished!

Let me be the first to ask about SW-Motech side rack fit?

I imagine it's sturdy enough to have a GL Great Basin sit against it or the new Siskiyous?

Does it drain first or second?

When? and of course $$?

Dave

mustardfj40 03-21-2013 01:38 AM

He mentioned on the other thread that price would be half of the touratech tank, so my guess is it would be around US$1,000.

Camel ADV 03-21-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustardfj40 (Post 20998346)
He mentioned on the other thread that price would be half of the touratech tank, so my guess is it would be around US$1,000.

We will be just under the $500 mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowheels (Post 20998157)
Wow!! :eek1

Looks great!! Very polished!

Let me be the first to ask about SW-Motech side rack fit?

I imagine it's sturdy enough to have a GL Great Basin sit against it or the new Siskiyous?

Dave


It's gone through several revisions, in fact it started with me sitting on a milk crate, carving up a chunk of rigid styrofoam with a bread knife. It's been a fun project.

Which racks work and which ones don't... I tried it on as many systems as I could and tweaked the shape accordingly.

Fit's for sure:
-BMW aluminum Adventure cases. The notch in the side of the tank is to clear the cam lock.
-TouraTech Zega
-Touratech Zega Special (with a new rear support bar)
-Giant Loop Great Basin
-Giant Loop Siskiyou

Definitely won't fit:
-BMW Vario
-Jesses
-Any rack systems that use under seat/under tank mounts (see pic below).

Maybe:
-a ton of brands. We hope to have a comprehensive list by the time the tanks are available for sale.


http://oso-blanco.smugmug.com/Other/...IMG_0161-L.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowheels (Post 20998157)
Does it drain first or second?

When?

Dave

-This tank drains first via siphon to the main.

-We are estimating 8-10weeks until they are ready.

MCMXCIVRS 03-21-2013 08:55 AM

I've been in on the secret for some time as one of the test fitters Cory has used. Gotta give him credit for a ton of work he's done to get this tank designed and ready to manufacture; the few others that hinted at this type of tank in the works have not had the determination to get anywhere near this far in the process. This is something that has been long overdue for the F twin GSs. I'll be at the front of the line to get mine. :clap

servdave 03-21-2013 09:30 AM

Looks very interesting, very nicely done.

Does look like it might effect clearance for the swing arm?

Would very much like extra fuel carrying though!

picard 03-21-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oso Blanco (Post 21000296)
Definitely won't fit:
-Any rack systems that use under seat/under tank mounts (see pic below).

Darn. I think that makes it incompatible with Wolfman and SW Motech, at least.

eddyturn 03-21-2013 12:39 PM

Oh, and I had to go and buy Jesses... Nice piece of kit!

bearbuck 03-21-2013 01:09 PM

and add Hepco Becker to the incompatible list?

Quote:

Originally Posted by picard (Post 21001620)
Darn. I think that makes it incompatible with Wolfman and SW Motech, at least.


Loutre 03-21-2013 01:15 PM

That is genious!
as long as I don't have to put a hole through my tank and as long as I can remove it when I want to I'll get one definitely!

Camel ADV 03-21-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddyturn (Post 21001889)
Oh, and I had to go and buy Jesses... Nice piece of kit!

We looked long at hard at the Jesse's cases as they are so popular. The good and bad is that they did an excellent job of tucking the racks and bag tight to the bike. Great for over all width but not so good for getting a tank in there. By the time we shaved, notched and clearanced things we were left with barely a gallon and a very unattractive looking unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by picard (Post 21001620)
Darn. I think that makes it incompatible with Wolfman and SW Motech, at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearbuck (Post 21002094)
and add Hepco Becker to the incompatible list?

I've got HB racks for my Pelicans. The project started out fitting that style of rack. The issue is that the front mounting location for the rack is the ideal location for the tank as well. We tried a few options of piggy backing the mounts to fit both the tank and the rack but it was less than appealing for one reason or another. Also by extending the tank forward, we gained a half gallon over the original design.

That been said, if there were enough people interested and willing to commit, we could modify the front third of the tank in the program (require new mold of course $$$) to stop short of the front mounting location which would allow several other systems to be used (at 25% or so reduced volume). It's something we can look into more later if the interest is there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loutre (Post 21002136)
That is genious!
as long as I don't have to put a hole through my tank and as long as I can remove it when I want to I'll get one definitely!

There is no drilling of the stock tank. There are two 7/16" holes that get drilled (in inconspicuous places). One is for the fuel supply and one is for the vent line. We are sourcing small plastic filler caps that snap in to the holes should the tank be removed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS (Post 21000370)
I've been in on the secret for some time as one of the test fitters Cory has used. Gotta give him credit for a ton of work he's done to get this tank designed and ready to manufacture; the few others that hinted at this type of tank in the works have not had the determination to get anywhere near this far in the process. This is something that has been long overdue for the F twin GSs. I'll be at the front of the line to get mine. :clap

Thanks for the help Ed! It was great to be able to test the various versions out on your bike. No need to get in line for a tank, the second one out of the mold has your name on it! (you didn't think I'd give up the first one did you?!:rofl)

Quote:

Originally Posted by servdave (Post 21000615)
Looks very interesting, very nicely done.

Does look like it might effect clearance for the swing arm?

Would very much like extra fuel carrying though!

The bottom of the tank is clearanced for the swingarm/chain cover. The rear shock was removed, suspension cycled to full compression to ensure there was no interference.

servdave 03-21-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, really interested to see how these work out!

Will have to change my panniers as I currently ride withe Metal Mules but it looks like such a good idea that it would be worht the change!

Bayner 03-21-2013 04:23 PM

Does it definitely not work with Metal Mules? Just thinking of mine and I guess it would depend on how far forward the tank mounts...

Reaver 03-21-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oso Blanco (Post 21000296)
We will be just under the $500 mark.


Now you have my attention! For $1000, I'll just go buy a red can and a strap. For $500 I can get a well planned and thought out setup that can be reversed, looks OEM and I don't have to pay extra to get it painted a matching colour. No fork spring change either!

As long as it doesn't explode like an old Ford Pinto, I'm in!

Oh, and don't use the BMW special non-cohesive fuel tank plastic. :thumb

Reaver 03-21-2013 05:24 PM

Just a thought...... Any way of locking the gas cap? Optional extra locking cap or lugs of some kind for a pad lock maybe. I'd hate to see someone using it as a urinal. :huh


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014