ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2012 wee 650 ADV farkles for first long trip?! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875594)

MariusD 04-02-2013 10:56 AM

2012 wee 650 ADV farkles for first long trip?!
 
I finally got my '12 wee adventure, with side cases crash bar and a "better" shield (not really better). Initially I thought the bike would be fine as it sits from New Orleans to Miami (1k miles each way) but after 250 miles over 4 days I realized some comfort mods would make a world of difference.

I only have a week to get the parts and install them, so I'd really appreciate any and all input specifically as it pertains to comfort.

Right now I'm thikning:

Tusk bar risers
Footpeg lowering kit - not sure where to get one though, but would be nice
Throttle lock
Windshield - not sure. I'm 6ft tall, anybody have one that works?!
Usb power outlet to charge my phone
Top case - not a necessity but might be nice.

I have an airhawk r pad from my old bike, so I think the stock seat should be fine.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get this stuff or what brands work better and are quick to install, i would really really appreciate it!

I'm leaving next wednesday morning with whatever I can slap on the bike between now and then. Hope to make this a pleasant one and not so much a painful one. (fingers crossed)

MariusD 04-02-2013 11:37 AM

Ok so luckily, I found time on my lunchbrake to order the following:

Tusk risers
Ricks Footpeg Lowering kit
Riks fork brace (seemed like a good idea and an easy install)
Riks Mirror extenders

This is good, making good progress...

Next:

Need some easy solution to charge my phone
Throttle lock
Windshield


All ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated!

tommyhof 04-02-2013 12:01 PM

Wee
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusD (Post 21091334)
I finally got my '12 wee adventure, with side cases crash bar and a "better" shield (not really better). Initially I thought the bike would be fine as it sits from New Orleans to Miami (1k miles each way) but after 250 miles over 4 days I realized some comfort mods would make a world of difference.

I only have a week to get the parts and install them, so I'd really appreciate any and all input specifically as it pertains to comfort.

Right now I'm thikning:

Tusk bar risers
Footpeg lowering kit - not sure where to get one though, but would be nice
Throttle lock
Windshield - not sure. I'm 6ft tall, anybody have one that works?!
Usb power outlet to charge my phone
Top case - not a necessity but might be nice.

I have an airhawk r pad from my old bike, so I think the stock seat should be fine.


If anyone has any suggestions on where to get this stuff or what brands work better and are quick to install, i would really really appreciate it!

I'm leaving next wednesday morning with whatever I can slap on the bike between now and then. Hope to make this a pleasant one and not so much a painful one. (fingers crossed)

Do you wear ear plugs, I'm 6-2" and still using original shield in the highest position, summer and winter, I have an 06, if you're going to do any off road a bash plate is a must, I have the ADVMOSTUFF I beleive, anyway have fun a Wee is the best bike out there IMHO......

Canuman 04-02-2013 12:07 PM

The Madstad windscreen mount is a wonderful item, and takes care of many issues.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/madst...Fc5_QgodVC4AUQ

MariusD 04-02-2013 12:21 PM

I don't typically wear earplugs, but I'm glad you metioned it. Need to get some!

No off road planed, no interest in it either, slabbin' it the whole way, so focus is highway/cruisin' comfort. This is why I got the fork brace, apparently it helps with crosswind stability.

The windshield situation on the '12 dl650 is interesting because the madstat bracket only works with older shields (07-11). It's looking like I have to replace the shield whether or not i get the bracket... need to do more homework on it still but I feel like if I don't do anything with the windshield and just get some of the other comfort mods done i'll still be a WAY ahead of the stock bike.

I'm tempted to try vibranators. My bike seems to have a slight buzz at 5000rpm. Doesn the bike smooth out any after break in? Not the end to all things, but this might be a $ 100 or so well spend in the long run. We shall see...

oh, maybe someone has a footpeg recommendation? Stockers are ok for a while, but wider ones would probably be nice after 400miles or so... thoughts?

No False Enthusiasm 04-02-2013 12:49 PM

+1 on Rick's fork brace and mirror extenders...

+1 on Madstad mounting hardware. I also went with the Madstad windshield with the adjustable wing on top.

NFE

MariusD 04-02-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm (Post 21092204)
+1 on Rick's fork brace and mirror extenders...

+1 on Madstad mounting hardware. I also went with the Madstad windshield with the adjustable wing on top.

NFE

Glad to hear you liked them. The brace was pure impulse buy, but seems poeple like it for traveling, so I thought I'd roll the dice.

Curious about your windshiled:

Which specific windshield did you go with? and how tall are you? are you able to look over the windshield on the highway or do you look throught it?

MariusD 04-02-2013 01:20 PM

Handguards... any thoughts?

Do they help on the highway, other than when it's raining?

I've never had any on my bikes so I have no idea... Maybe I should I get some for this trip...?!

ALinUTAH 04-02-2013 03:10 PM

I just brought home a 2012 wee last weekend. I lurked on stromtrooper.com for a long time figuring out what I wanted to do. They seem to like the givi airflow windshield. Rode it about 600 miles home. I love the bike but the windshield has to be the absolute noisiest piece of crap ever invented. It's like having a jet engine in your face. Even with earplugs it's intolerable. Standing on the pegs gets my head in clean air and it's totally silent, so it's not my helmet. I will be removing mine until the givi gets here.

Other farkles...

Barkbuster handguards at twisted throttle. They are mainly to prevent breaking levers when you crash in the dirt. They don't really keep your ands dry in my experience. But they do keep cold wind off. Unnecessary if you are cruising slab.

I didn't think the seat was too bad. I'm going to try an alaskan leather sheepskin buttpad for now.

My bike was smooth as butter up to 6-7k. Didn't rev past that yet. -al

MariusD 04-02-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALinUTAH (Post 21093311)
I just brought home a 2012 wee last weekend. I lurked on stromtrooper.com for a long time figuring out what I wanted to do. They seem to like the givi airflow windshield. Rode it about 600 miles home. I love the bike but the windshield has to be the absolute noisiest piece of crap ever invented. It's like having a jet engine in your face. Even with earplugs it's intolerable. Standing on the pegs gets my head in clean air and it's totally silent, so it's not my helmet. I will be removing mine until the givi gets here.

Other farkles...

Barkbuster handguards at twisted throttle. They are mainly to prevent breaking levers when you crash in the dirt. They don't really keep your ands dry in my experience. But they do keep cold wind off. Unnecessary if you are cruising slab.

I didn't think the seat was too bad. I'm going to try an alaskan leather sheepskin buttpad for now.

My bike was smooth as butter up to 6-7k. Didn't rev past that yet. -al

I'm so glad you chimed in. I had no idea about the givi airflow screen, but it looks like a really good option. Especially since no separate brackets are needed. I think i will order it tonight cuz I don't have much time to kill anymore. Thanks again for that suggestion, really appreciate it!

I will also skip the handguards. I can't imagine i'd need them much, especially down here in the south where it's stupid hot most of the year.

MariusD 04-02-2013 04:25 PM

I checked a few places and many were sold out of the givi af3101. However, Happy-trail.com had 2 in stock still so I had to grab one.

Boy.... this sure has been a productive and expensive day.... lol! I'm excited and realy glad it's all coming together.

Now....

I think I still need at the very least:

Thottle lock - for sure
Footpegs - maybe... any good suggestions out there for the strom?
Phone charger - I really have no idea how to go about this. Electrical stuff frightens me... help!

MariusD 04-02-2013 04:41 PM

Throttle lock handled:

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_order.html

For $20bucks... it'll do. :1drink

ALinUTAH 04-02-2013 05:57 PM

I know the feeling. After buying the bike on Saturday, I spent almost another couple grand on goodies for it on Monday. Somebody stop me!

I've been bombarded with shipping notices today so I'm like a kid on christmas eve. -al

rokklym 04-02-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusD (Post 21093934)
Throttle lock handled:

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_order.html

For $20bucks... it'll do. :1drink

Those work pretty good, and the price is right!

Jnich77 04-02-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusD (Post 21091689)

All ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated!

My advice, take a couple of trips and then decide what you really need vs. what is just a want.


As for the phone charger, wire in a relay that activates a 12V plug when the bike is running. Use your regular car charger, its a 15.00 project and takes about an hour ;-)


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014