ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   What to do with an old hybrid? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875621)

hoffa509 04-02-2013 11:20 AM

What to do with an old hybrid?

My wife has a 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line (Hybrid). It is a mild hybrid, meaning that the electric motor runs the accessories while stopped, it uses regenerative braking, and it helps power the wheels during acceleration. It never drives solely in electric mode. I like it because it is big enough to carry my bike on a hitch carrier and it is good on road trips. I would like to keep it when my wife upgrades (I don't get upgrades, I get hand me downs).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The question is, what to do with a hybrid when the hybrid parts start to fail or lose efficiently? My wife's car has already had the hybrid system fail and be replaced with the warranty. If the system has an issue after the warranty runs out, it would not be worth repairing. At that point, the car will be fairly depreciated and the system is not that much help in MPG anyway. I would want to either ignore the failed system or remove the battery to save the weight. The space the battery occupies keeps the Vue from having a spare tire.<o:p></o:p>
So have people hit this point with the original Honda Insight or other early hybrids? I see this as a real issue in the future. No one would want to spend thousands getting a new battery on an old car (replacement Insight battery is $2095 online). If you removed the battery on any of the full hybrid cars you could remove hundreds of pounds (if the car would run at all).<o:p></o:p>

FatChance 04-02-2013 11:47 AM

I'd put a 6" lift on it, big tires, stuff a V8 in it, install a bitchin' stereo and paint a Confederate Flag on the roof!

:lol3

papalobster 04-02-2013 11:59 AM

Whatever you do, don't install a solid fuel rocket booster motor DAMHIK:bluduh

Sniper X 04-02-2013 12:07 PM

Sell it to some hippy who will replace the batteries.

bisbonian 04-02-2013 01:39 PM

I wouldn't compare an original Insight to your Vue hybrid.

There is a huge following for the Gen1 Insight, well maybe not huge but the people who own them are mostly rabid fans. There are some guys who have gone to great lengths with the Insight to make it better at what it does, get great mileage.

Didn't the Vue have a starter/generator mounted to the engine and using a belt?

Meter Man 04-02-2013 01:57 PM

It is my understanding that some hybrids will not run at all without a working battery pack. I could be wrong though.

Mgbgt89 04-02-2013 02:23 PM

Don't know what to tell you about your VUE, but this is what i would LOVE to do to an insight.

http://www.lhtperformance.net/docume...t_k-sight.html

Rip out all the hybrid crap and put a potent engine in it, and STILL get awesome mileage due to the low weight.

eatpasta 04-02-2013 02:34 PM

its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 10-15-20 years as all the hybrid drivers with this exact problem try to figure out how to get rid of a car that nobody wants....

Drif10 04-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatpasta (Post 21093493)
its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 10-15-20 years as all the hybrid drivers with this exact problem try to figure out how to get rid of a car that nobody wants....

and can't afford to repair. :nod

stiggs13 04-02-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

All those Prius's will turn around and bite their owners in the ass

k-moe 04-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggs13 (Post 21093823)

My great-grandfather said the same thing about those "newfangled horseless carriages" :evil

Sniper X 04-02-2013 03:32 PM

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/user...ayometer_1.gif

Anorak 04-02-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggs13 (Post 21093823)

I don't think so. There are Prius taxis all over S.F. They take a hell of a beating.

Xeraux 04-02-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drif10 (Post 21093792)
and can't afford to repair. :nod

Exactly. :nod

I wonder what the environmental impact of all these batteries going into landfills will be.

SR1 04-02-2013 04:34 PM

I'd say dump it as soon as you can. It will never be worth more than it is today. (We can say that about most cars, but when this one tanks, it's nearly fucking useless, as opposed to the everlasting but worn out gas or diesel engine car).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 AM.