ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   HF Tire Changer alternative (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880011)

MaestroPNW 04-18-2013 09:32 AM

HF Tire Changer alternative
 
I was about to get myself an HF tire changer only to discover that it is discontinued.
What is my next cheapest alternative? Ebay is full of HF replicas, but I'm somewhat confused, as some of them list tire size up to 16.5'' while very similarly looking units claim to go all the way up to 25;;.
For instance - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-P...893cb4&vxp=mtr - claims 25''

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Motor...997249&vxp=mtr - claims 16'' looks pretty much the same.
Besides ebay, what can I get without going into ~$500 range?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, please kindly recycle electrons :)

JimVonBaden 04-18-2013 10:42 AM

Those are the HF tire changers, but not ready for MC tires. They would need an additional $150 woth of stuff to make them useful without damaging the wheels.

There are other options out there that are made for MC wheels that are about $250-300. The No Marr low line, which I can't remember the name of, has some options.

Jim :brow

jad3675 04-18-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21215962)
Those are the HF tire changers, but not ready for MC tires. They would need an additional $150 woth of stuff to make them useful without damaging the wheels.

There are other options out there that are made for MC wheels that are about $250-300. The No Marr low line, which I can't remember the name of, has some options.

Jim :brow

Cycle Hill, though it has crept up in price to about $450 or so.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/prod...20standard.htm

John

Unstable Rider 04-18-2013 11:57 AM

Dang, saw some really neat ones at the bike show weeks ago. Forget the brand though.

MaestroPNW 04-18-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21215962)
Those are the HF tire changers, but not ready for MC tires. They would need an additional $150 woth of stuff to make them useful without damaging the wheels.

There are other options out there that are made for MC wheels that are about $250-300. The No Marr low line, which I can't remember the name of, has some options.

Jim :brow

Given that nomar starts at about 450, spending some on the HF still seems reasonable - why would they damage wheels?

troidus 04-18-2013 04:41 PM

Northern Tool now carries what looks like the HF changer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_18863_18863

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...s/13474_lg.jpg

You still need the MC adapter, though.

MaestroPNW 04-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troidus (Post 21218691)
Northern Tool now carries what looks like the HF changer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_18863_18863

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...s/13474_lg.jpg

You still need the MC adapter, though.

HF still has the basic tire changer, it's the adapter that they no longer sell.

troidus 04-18-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaestroPNW (Post 21218710)
HF still has the basic tire changer, it's the adapter that they no longer sell.

Ah. They quit carrying it for awhile. I didn't know they had started carrying it again.

BlueLghtning 04-18-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaestroPNW (Post 21215473)
I was about to get myself an HF tire changer only to discover that it is discontinued.
What is my next cheapest alternative? Ebay is full of HF replicas, but I'm somewhat confused, as some of them list tire size up to 16.5'' while very similarly looking units claim to go all the way up to 25;;.
For instance - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-P...893cb4&vxp=mtr - claims 25''

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Motor...997249&vxp=mtr - claims 16'' looks pretty much the same.
Besides ebay, what can I get without going into ~$500 range?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, please kindly recycle electrons :)

The first link is just for the top part only. Their title even says "no base" which means the bottom portion isn't included in that auction. That's why the bottom half of the tire changer is sort of greyed out because you aren't buying that part, although you do need it to be able to use the top part. They are 2 separate pieces, but both are required for MC tires. That also explains why you see a difference in description on what they can do.

The 2nd link appears to be the full combo with both parts of the tire changer which you need to do motorcycle tires. The bottom part is only good up to about 16" or so and then the top portion which I know can do 21" tires, and probably 23" tires. In the 2nd link, their main description is mostly about the lower half of the tire change which changes like trailer type tires and maybe small car tires. The top half is explained in the side margin under this.

Overall both top parts look the same and exactly like the HF tire changer, so they should work.

Quote:

X5101 - The Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment

7-1/2 Diameter x 3/16 Thick Wheel Rest Plate
(4) 1/2 predrilled holes for mounting
15-3/8 x 18-1/2 Base
BTW, I owned a HF Tire changer for 10+ years. I finally sold it late last year when I upgraded to the No-Mar Tire changer; The classic or what ever the lowest model is. I actually bought it at the IMS show in Atlanta. The HF gets the job done, but the No Mar is super nice.

BlueLghtning 04-18-2013 05:39 PM

BTW, I have a tutorial I put together several years ago on using the HF tire changer and what tricks I had learned on how not to damage your rims and stuff and how to make the process much easier. I could do two tires ind under 20mins from start to finish.

- http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...6303251_BKsc4b

Just a few pics from my tutorial
http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0301-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0306-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0314-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0327-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0330-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0345-L.jpg

http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...100_0355-L.jpg

BlueLghtning 04-18-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21215962)
Those are the HF tire changers, but not ready for MC tires. They would need an additional $150 woth of stuff to make them useful without damaging the wheels.

There are other options out there that are made for MC wheels that are about $250-300. The No Marr low line, which I can't remember the name of, has some options.

Jim :brow

As long as you have both the base and the motorcycle attachment, that's really all you technically need. Even though the clamps are metal, I never found that they really marked up the rims that bad. However, you definitely need some sort of rim protector because that red bar will mark the hell out of your rims if you don't have something between it and the rim. I showed above that I used cut up shampoo bottles which seemed to work really well.

ChromeSux 04-18-2013 08:17 PM

I have the Harbor freight tire changer with the motorcycle tire adapter, when used in conjunction with the mojo adapters and mojo bar from Preston Drake it is pretty darn good.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

A buddy of mine gave me the tire changer with adapter, so i just had to buy the bar and blocks from Preston.

JimVonBaden 04-18-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaestroPNW (Post 21218652)
Given that nomar starts at about 450, spending some on the HF still seems reasonable - why would they damage wheels?


The lips on the stock changer are just sharp edged metal. You need to add some protection. See this: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Change.html

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/images/15...-Protector.jpg

Jim :brow

Trander 04-19-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeSux (Post 21220269)
I have the Harbor freight tire changer with the motorcycle tire adapter, when used in conjunction with the mojo adapters and mojo bar from Preston Drake it is pretty darn good.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

A buddy of mine gave me the tire changer with adapter, so i just had to buy the bar and blocks from Preston.


I have the exact same combination and it works good for me as well.

Cataract2 04-20-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troidus (Post 21218691)
Northern Tool now carries what looks like the HF changer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_18863_18863

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...s/13474_lg.jpg

You still need the MC adapter, though.

Has anyone tried this one?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014