ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2014 honda ctx700 dct abs (ctx700d) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882763)

TheReaper! 04-28-2013 03:28 PM

2014 honda ctx700 dct abs (ctx700d)

Any one test drive or seen one in person ? Looks like a DN-01 ?

TheReaper!

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...00D)-109732295

cbolling 04-28-2013 04:09 PM

Look pretty cool but I have not seen one yet.

fullmetalscooter 04-28-2013 05:36 PM

http://images.traderonline.com/img/5...mb_770x574.jpg

CaptnJim 04-28-2013 08:48 PM

That is a good-looking bike! I'm not a big fan of the forward pegs/controls, but I'm also not in the market.

The accessories look sharp and functional...

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ct...ryPreview.aspx

Really. Not in the market. Ohhhh, the red is really nice.... no! Not in the market.

aidanpryde18 04-30-2013 07:25 PM

I really like the blacked out look of the Naked model better.

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/2014...ng-55008-7.jpg

It's the same engine and tranny as the NC series. I'm not sure if they raked it out any, but I would imagine that it is largely the same except for seating position.

kantuckid 05-01-2013 07:11 AM

I just checked the specs & it is 500.4 #'s curb weight. Other than the fact that it's an auto shift why (in general comparison) would I spend that much $$$ to get rid of my BMW R1150R-low seat version, that has far more power & weighs much less & is paid for to get the Honda? Is this about not having to shift or whats the attraction otherwise?

JerseyBiker 05-01-2013 09:20 AM

I think Honda is going after (what they see as) untapped markets.

New riders and Geezers (low seat height and automatic)

As one of the latter and also a short guy - each year (day?) throwing a leg over a bike is more difficult and hurts more. Leaning forward onto my wrists at all is painful after a very short time. This could be a motorcycle that keeps guys like me riding for a few more years. (Though scooters - for me - work better)

I believe Honda feels this bike will be a non-intimidating bike for new riders since they can put both feet on the ground and not have to learn to operate a clutch while also learning to ride.

I think clearly this is a compromise bike and not intended for the general market of riders. I applaud Honda for thinking out side the box. Lord knows there are enough Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Touring machines etc. out there for the general market.

daveinva 05-01-2013 01:29 PM

RE: no clutch, never underestimate the appeal of not having to clutch in and out in city traffic.

I love my manual bikes (and cars), but using either in traffic all commute long can be a painful thing.

cbolling 05-02-2013 07:22 PM

I really like riding with an automatic.

I thing it would have a huge take rate on the Goldwing.

I think most Harley riders would like automatic transmissions too but I don't think their egos would let them go for it.

antwon412 05-02-2013 07:30 PM

I think the nekkid one is awesome looking.

CaptnJim 05-02-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 21320611)
I really like riding with an automatic.

I thing it would have a huge take rate on the Goldwing.

I think most Harley riders would like automatic transmissions too but I don't think their egos would let them go for it.

I think it depends on where you are... in life as well as in your riding style. I owned 9 Harleys over the years - with the wide powerband with those v-twins, shifting is part of the experience. One of my favorite bikes was a BMW RT - I really enjoyed carving up the canyon near our home, and I can't imagine going into and out of those curves without complete control of the gearing.

With a small motor, like most scooters, you'd be shifting all the time trying to keep that motor and RPMs happy. The automatic just works with what a scooter is all about.

There have been other automatic transmission motorcycles in the past, and they weren't a sale success. Honda is smart offering these 700s either way. I will be surprised if the automatic is a sales leader.

I think it is less about ego, and more about the experience. After 45 years of shifting motorcycles, my feet "twitched" on the scooter for the first few weeks. :evil

I like the CVT on my scooter. I don't think I'd care for that on a motorcycle. But, I have never tried one. This Honda is a good-looking bike. Style counts. The "motorcycle experience" counts. It will be interesting to see how the sales stack up.

Captain Jim

DandM 05-03-2013 02:02 AM

Even with great new products

Honda should take a closer look at their motorcycle dealers. Possibly go undercover. Maybe clean house like Suzuki is doing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When we started looking to buy a few months back, Honda products were on the list. It was the dealers (two of them) that turned us off. They were arrogant, unfriendly, and I guess the Honda products were supposed to simply sell themselves. Don’t know how these two dealers are still in business. <o:p></o:p>

JerryH 05-03-2013 06:51 AM

I've wanted one of those (the "N" model) ever since Honda announced them. I love the forward pegs. That's why I ride scooters and cruisers. Can't deal with having my legs all scrunched up underneath me. I would like to have the automatic model, but unfortunately they only sell it with ABS, which I don't want. Can't afford one now anyway. Will need to buy a new car soon.

Slickvic 05-03-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandM (Post 21322525)
Honda should take a closer look at their motorcycle dealers. Possibly go undercover. Maybe clean house like Suzuki is doing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When we started looking to buy a few months back, Honda products were on the list. It was the dealers (two of them) that turned us off. They were arrogant, unfriendly, and I guess the Honda products were supposed to simply sell themselves. Donít know how these two dealers are still in business. <o:p></o:p>

Agreed. The dealer I purchased my PCX-150 from was not my first choice, but they had a big sale last month. As we were looking over the display model, the assistant sales manager approached my wife and I and said " I know your purse will fit under the seat just fine"

I said "I don't have a purse".

He just pretended he didn't hear me and went on with a weak sales pitch.
Motorcycle dealer experiences make me sad like visiting a car dealership does.:waysad

kantuckid 05-03-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBiker (Post 21308116)
I think Honda is going after (what they see as) untapped markets.

New riders and Geezers (low seat height and automatic)

As one of the latter and also a short guy - each year (day?) throwing a leg over a bike is more difficult and hurts more. Leaning forward onto my wrists at all is painful after a very short time. This could be a motorcycle that keeps guys like me riding for a few more years. (Though scooters - for me - work better)

I believe Honda feels this bike will be a non-intimidating bike for new riders since they can put both feet on the ground and not have to learn to operate a clutch while also learning to ride.

I think clearly this is a compromise bike and not intended for the general market of riders. I applaud Honda for thinking out side the box. Lord knows there are enough Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Touring machines etc. out there for the general market.

I qualify as something of a geezer too @ 69 & counting. The leg thing is no problem for me-actually I'm very active & healthy guy. Tired from farm work today & moving sawmill lumber yesterday but ready to ride my big bike now! Mines for sale because I want to get into a lighter machine for when I'm simply older than now(plus I plan to ride my BMW vintage machine soon) and willing for that next machine to be a scoot. My MC has riser /set backs so the arm stuff is a non issue. The leg part is a non issue on the road but in parking lots & on the side of the road it can be a bitch if I don't get to call my spots as to when/where I can pull over on the side of the road,etc..Too bad that Honda "went outside the box & created a MC with 51hp"-thats a sick machine compared to other modern MC's & I'm not a HP freak or I'd be after 100hp these days. My old BMW R75/5 has that MC beat on ergonomics (for a geezer) & performance-only the brakes & electrics are ahead of that game w/Honda. I must admit, I really don't like the "space ship/star wars" look of most all modern MC's. The Honda will never get my $$$...Tupperware isn't cool!
I think the real problem in MC's offered today is that many are too tall for certain riders(me) or too much HP when what I really want is handling-think vintage Honda 500cc MC-they were far from the most powerful but arguably were the best riding bikes ever made & with some reliability plus you could get on one & afford it. Wh7y not use that concept and throw in modern brakes,etc. then if you want an automatic go buy a scoot. MC's don't need AT.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:36 PM.