ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Removing bad kreem job/ fuel repair shop NE GA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883208)

nerdtastic_89 04-29-2013 09:55 PM

Removing bad kreem job/ fuel repair shop NE GA
 
Being the noob that I am, I have no real idea where to start finding a trusted fuel repair shop that works on motorcycles willing to tackle the mess that is my tank. Besides the obvious rust in there, a botched kreem job was done and I wanted to try and see if it can be saved so I don't have to buy a new tank. Wanted yalls opinion before I tried to yellow page it. I live in Athens Ga, 30606 willing to travel up to an hour or so out of my area.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

troidus 04-29-2013 10:09 PM

I'm pretty sure acetone will remove Kreem. Once that's all out, get a POR-15 kit and re-coat it. Don't get any of the chemicals on the outside of the tank.

nerdtastic_89 04-29-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troidus (Post 21297894)
I'm pretty sure acetone will remove Kreem. Once that's all out, get a POR-15 kit and re-coat it. Don't get any of the chemicals on the outside of the tank.


Gotta find somebody to do that for me. Because I have NOOOO idea what I'm doing.

JGBrown 04-29-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtastic_89 (Post 21297904)
Gotta find somebody to do that for me. Because I have NOOOO idea what I'm doing.

It's like putting gas in the tank, only you use acetone instead. :evil
If you've gone for a ride and filled the tank, you've got half of the job covered already.
Maybe find someone local to help you, so you learn how to do it? Somebody showed me the first time, and it was pretty easy to follow.
Though we used some other steps to dissolve the rust after. And shook the tank a lot.

achtung3 04-30-2013 09:05 AM

Go and buy a kreem kit from the motorcycle shop or elsewhere that you can find it and read the instructions it is pretty straight forward, there is solution in the kit that you use to paint the outside of the tank to avoid messing up your paint, and you can call kreem and ask them the removal part of it.

I have a mechanic who just called me about my tank being rust removed, and I will pick it up in the next hour, he is using electrolysis to remove the rust, this has been just over 3 weeks.



Picked up my tank and it is awesome, the tank looks almost good as new, all the rust is pretty much gone.
The prior onwer of this bike had poured muriatic acid inside and then done nothing and it was sitting in a car port rusting away for almost 30yrs when I got it.

Gallowbraid 04-30-2013 12:55 PM

If you find a shop that works on radiators they can usually dip the tank and get it all cleaned up for you, often times preserving the paint on the exterior was well (don't ask me how.)

If you're willing to travel a bit there's a radiator shop on Airport Road between Baldwin and Cornelia (about 35 minutes north of Athens) that cleaned up a tank for a buddy of mine one time:

Williams Radiator
1047 Airport Rd Cornelia, GA 30531
(706) 778-6141

ttpete 04-30-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtung3 (Post 21300635)
Go and buy a kreem kit from the motorcycle shop or elsewhere that you can find it and read the instructions it is pretty straight forward, there is solution in the kit that you use to paint the outside of the tank to avoid messing up your paint, and you can call kreem and ask them the removal part of it.

I have a mechanic who just called me about my tank being rust removed, and I will pick it up in the next hour, he is using electrolysis to remove the rust, this has been just over 3 weeks.

Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.

achtung3 04-30-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 21302402)
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.

I still have a new kit in my garage!!!!!!:eek1

bwringer 04-30-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 21302402)
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.


Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.

ttpete 04-30-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwringer (Post 21303886)
Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.

From what I've been hearing, POR-15 isn't recommended for plastic tanks, but Caswell is.

nerdtastic_89 05-01-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallowbraid (Post 21302319)
If you find a shop that works on radiators they can usually dip the tank and get it all cleaned up for you, often times preserving the paint on the exterior was well (don't ask me how.)

If you're willing to travel a bit there's a radiator shop on Airport Road between Baldwin and Cornelia (about 35 minutes north of Athens) that cleaned up a tank for a buddy of mine one time:

Williams Radiator
1047 Airport Rd Cornelia, GA 30531
(706) 778-6141

You sir, are absolutely awesome! I've traveled further to stare at lakes and eat ice cream. So this is a piece of cake.

nerdtastic_89 05-01-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 21302402)
Kreem is obsolete. It's not resistant to today's gas. About the only two liners that will work today are POR-15 or Caswell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwringer (Post 21303886)
Agreed. Kreem is krap.

I've seen people get excellent results with the POR15 and Caswell kits. I think I might have heard once of a Kreem job that didn't quickly fail, but I was mistaken.

POR15 even sells a version of their motorcycle tank kit that includes a solvent that will remove a failed Kreem liner. If you can read and follow simple instructions to the letter, you can do it.

At this point, I really just want to punch Kreem in the face. And whomever did this half-assed job of it. I'm over Kreem and rust. Out of my tank they must go!

LarryDawg 05-01-2013 12:42 PM

Mek
 
Methyl Ethyl Ketone is what is used to disolve Kreem, I have it in the tank of my old honda Trialer...
Larry

ttpete 05-01-2013 01:03 PM

If I have a tank I'm going to repaint, it goes to a commercial paint stripping company. It comes back bright steel, no paint, no rust. They also do a great job on home heat registers with many coats of old paint.

bwringer 05-01-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 21304187)
From what I've been hearing, POR-15 isn't recommended for plastic tanks, but Caswell is.

Who said anything about a plastic tank? :huh


Anything that would dissolve Kreem (we seem to have votes for both acetone and MEK here; dunno which is better or correct) would also run the risk of damaging a plastic tank, so you'd need to consult a polymer chemist...

But yeah, I know the POR15 stuff is rock-hard when it sets up, so it would be a pretty bad idea with a plastic tank for that reason alone. I haven't seen a sample of the cured Caswell stuff.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014