ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   My Van wont do a donut.... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895706)

a65l 06-14-2013 09:36 AM

My Van wont do a donut....

It was raining yesterday, and I had to do a U-turn. So I turned off the ASR, figuring I'd just slide the back end around on the wet pavement. I had the green arrow, nobody was around, so I cut the wheel and stepped on the gas.

Van's answer: Denied.

As soon as the van started sliding the little safety triangle started blinking and the computer started screwing around, and the next thing I knew I was back straight in my lane.

Is this another insidious government plot to keep us in line?

What if I have to get all sideways to kill zombies on the road?

A-Bone 06-14-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a65l (Post 21644185)

This is the case and your employer thanks them for not letting you do donuts in their service van....

:lol3

a65l 06-14-2013 09:57 AM

Actually, it's my personal toy hauler van, although they are mostly commercial vehicles.....

troidus 06-14-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

It was raining yesterday, and I had to do a U-turn. So I turned off the ASR, figuring I'd just slide the back end around on the wet pavement. I had the green arrow, nobody was around, so I cut the wheel and stepped on the gas.

Van's answer: Denied.

As soon as the van started sliding the little safety triangle started blinking and the computer started screwing around, and the next thing I knew I was back straight in my lane.

What if I have to get all sideways to kill zombies on the road?

Jeremy Clarkson regularly bitches about automakers not really turning ASR off when the button is pressed, so it's not just here.

Sniper X 06-14-2013 10:18 AM

So what you are saying the defeat button has a defeat! :roflFucking Government saving us from ourselves again. Pretty soon all cars will drive themselves like the new Merc. And women will STILL be able to hit you whilst putting on their makeup and texting.

crazyjeeper 06-14-2013 10:20 AM

Usually there is a secret code to turn it all of the way off. In my F150, just pressing the TC off only lets you spin in a straight line, no sideways, but if you hold it for 5 seconds, then it turns everything off and you can do whatever you want. :evil

Icewalker 06-14-2013 10:43 AM

I used to be able to get my old British Telecom Ford Transit van sideways all the time :lol3 - The service dept always wondered why my tires wore fast .....

AtlantaViking 06-14-2013 11:10 AM

Just a guess...were you driving a sprinter?

a65l 06-14-2013 11:41 AM

Why yes. Yes I was.

AtlantaViking 06-14-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a65l (Post 21644985)
Why yes. Yes I was.

Funny because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night:rofl

Just kidding...I figured as much because Benz has a habit of letting you think you turn of the electronic nanny - but in reality its still on only to a little more accepting nature but not much. Its at the mfg's discretion as to whether or not to actually fully disable them and given the liability climate these days, I bet more will go this way. Stinks eh? You need an old Econoline!

Motomedic 06-14-2013 01:48 PM

I miss my E350. Had the 2-valve V10 Triton motor, with a tuner, cold air and pipe. Not only would it light the tires at will, I could drift the thing fairly well for such a big&tall vehicle. :D

dirtydeeds 06-14-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

This is common with a lot of vehicles. Not only does the traction control have to be turned off but the wheel speed sensors may also have to be disconnected. That may or may not be possible. Even if possible, the answer could be pricey. Depends on the vehicle.

I was just as pissed off as you when I found out that I couldn't drift my Hemi Magnum without a bunch of work.

H96669 06-15-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyjeeper (Post 21644442)
Usually there is a secret code to turn it all of the way off. In my F150, just pressing the TC off only lets you spin in a straight line, no sideways, but if you hold it for 5 seconds, then it turns everything off and you can do whatever you want. :evil

Now I have to find GM's secret code......:roflThe TC has pissed me off a couple times at the top of them long icy hills when you are just making it up and then the stoopid thing engages a brake and slows you down even more.:eek1

Another thing they don't tell you in my manual is that spinning the wheels right on first start up, as in up my icy driveway then the ABS/Stabilitrak/TC won't have time/distance to do its "self checks" and all the lights will start flashing. Service.....service.....service!!!! Much cheaper to just stop/restart.:lol3

Not in my manual but sure is in other GM products with the same nanny.:evil

TinyBear 06-18-2013 05:54 PM

The one that pissed me off was the traction control on me 04 VW Jetta. It was stick shift so if the wheels spun on tke off the traction control would cut the engine nd some times apply some brake. This had the result of occasionally stalling the engine. So in bad snow days it was best to drive with traction control off. Made you wonder what the traction control was for then lol.

H96669 06-18-2013 06:17 PM

Just saw a friend last weekend. She was telling me about the new Nissan Fuze she's thinking of buying. I know her driving habits so told her to try u-turns on the next test drive.:evil

I think my GM fixed itself of the TC/Stabilitrak/ABS bad habits. All the warning lights came flashing on me twice today.Second reset only lasted a couple miles.:eek1 Probably corrosion...first time I drive it in a month over long distances.Time to pull some fuses....!:lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 PM.