ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Where to buy the new Spot 3? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902599)

lacofdfireman 07-10-2013 08:24 PM

Where to buy the new Spot 3?
 
I saw on gpscity.com they have a Spot 3 for preorder at $149. The reason I am considering the Spot 3 over the 2 is because you will be able to use a USB type exterior power source to keep the unit charged while on the bike. Would come in handy if you have the tracking feature updating your position ever 5 miles or so. Anyone have any other information on the Spot 3? Best place to buy etc? I don't suppose they will be offering any discounts for awhile on these units..

http://www.gpscity.com/spot-gen3-sat...messenger.html

http://www.gpscity.com/g/gps/l/s/spot3.jpg

sintax 07-11-2013 04:10 PM

I ordered from REI, being a member I get my 10% off, and they were offering a $20 gift card special a few weeks back on everything over a certain price.

Lame part is, SPOT is holding up the show on shipping these things....They were supposed to be out in May, and its already July. I suspect they really wont be out until Aug if we are lucky. I think they've missed 2 or 3 of their projected shipping dates.

lacofdfireman 07-12-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sintax (Post 21843916)
I ordered from REI, being a member I get my 10% off, and they were offering a $20 gift card special a few weeks back on everything over a certain price.

Lame part is, SPOT is holding up the show on shipping these things....They were supposed to be out in May, and its already July. I suspect they really wont be out until Aug if we are lucky. I think they've missed 2 or 3 of their projected shipping dates.

Makes me wonder if they are delaying because they are having issues with reliability with the new units.. I'm on the bubble if I should get the 2 or 3. I like the idea of having an external power source. That's what's making me want to buy the 3 over the 2.

sintax 07-12-2013 12:38 PM

Ya it's either beta testing issues, or production issues.

I am kind of hoping its production issues...

sintax 07-16-2013 05:36 PM

Looks like another release date missed!

Sure wish someone from Spot would say WTF is going on... I might end up buying a Spot2?

Pantah 07-17-2013 12:31 PM

I've a Spot 2 and it has had many multi day trips, plus it raced the Mexican 1000 twice. The longest trips were 2 weeks. I carry extra battery's but have never needed them. I keep it in tracking mode from kickstand up to night stop. Does the 3 have any other advantages than the usb plug?

sintax 07-17-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantah (Post 21889165)
I've a Spot 2 and it has had many multi day trips, plus it raced the Mexican 1000 twice. The longest trips were 2 weeks. I carry extra battery's but have never needed them. I keep it in tracking mode from kickstand up to night stop. Does the 3 have any other advantages than the usb plug?

holds 4x AAA batt's vs the 3x held in Spot2
motion activated tracking (stops tracking when you stop moving to save on batt)
new tracking rate (2 , 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes)
new form factor

eddyturn 07-17-2013 09:23 PM

Remember the release delays and recalls on the SPOT 2? Maybe they are having issues and trying to fix it so no recalls this time. Dunno.

sintax 07-18-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddyturn (Post 21893317)
Remember the release delays and recalls on the SPOT 2? Maybe they are having issues and trying to fix it so no recalls this time. Dunno.

That was my thoughts. Hoping when it comes out I dont get a lemon.

Guess we'll find out when we find out.

sintax 07-22-2013 07:34 AM

Well looks like REI canceled my order on their own. I'm getting a bad feeling about the spot3

Emmbeedee 07-22-2013 05:19 PM

GPSCity posted this to Facebook : The SPOT 3 is on the road this week, and there are only a handful of guaranteed preorder slots left. If you want one, now is the time to order so you won't have to wait when they arrive!

sintax 07-22-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmbeedee (Post 21928783)
GPSCity posted this to Facebook : The SPOT 3 is on the road this week, and there are only a handful of guaranteed preorder slots left. If you want one, now is the time to order so you won't have to wait when they arrive!

Well ordered one up...

We'll see

lacofdfireman 09-21-2013 10:28 PM

What is the deal with the Spot 3? I have been on the waiting list for 2 months and every week gpscity updates there site showing it will ship the next week. When the next week comes they update again showing it will be shipped the next week. Is this thing so jacked up they don't dare ship them?

Cannonshot 09-21-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacofdfireman (Post 22385857)
What is the deal with the Spot 3? I have been on the waiting list for 2 months and every week gpscity updates there site showing it will ship the next week. When the next week comes they update again showing it will be shipped the next week. Is this thing so jacked up they don't dare ship them?

Try Cyclenutz. I got one there without difficulty. Showing it in stock.

Act quickly. You must purchase before September 30 to score a $50 rebate.

lacofdfireman 09-25-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannonshot (Post 22385975)
Try Cyclenutz. I got one there without difficulty. Showing it in stock.

Act quickly. You must purchase before September 30 to score a $50 rebate.


Showing out of stock. And also shows that the $50 Rebate is for existing spot owners. How do you like the 3. Is it worth the upgrade from the 2 or should I just buy the 2 since no one seems to carry the 3?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014