ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anybody Changed A BMW C650GT Headlight Bulb? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911201)

Rugby4life 08-12-2013 08:36 AM

Anybody Changed A BMW C650GT Headlight Bulb?

After nearly 8k miles, my low beam bulb died. I think it shook to death over the "streets" of New Orleans. Any way, I checked the owners manual and it said to remove the right side panel to gain access to the bulb. Removed the panel and the battery and multiple fuse blocks are in the way. Removed the battery but couldn't see how to remove the battery box and fuse blocks. Called the dealership and the service manual calls for the entire front end to be disassembled for access. I'm not going to pay 2-3 hrs of shop time to change a stupid bulb. Anybody know a better way to gain access?

cbolling 08-12-2013 04:58 PM

Any luck?

andoulli 08-12-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby4life (Post 22083217)
After nearly 8k miles, my low beam bulb died. I think it shook to death over the "streets" of New Orleans. Any way, I checked the owners manual and it said to remove the right side panel to gain access to the bulb. Removed the panel and the battery and multiple fuse blocks are in the way. Removed the battery but couldn't see how to remove the battery box and fuse blocks. Called the dealership and the service manual calls for the entire front end to be disassembled for access. I'm not going to pay 2-3 hrs of shop time to change a stupid bulb. Anybody know a better way to gain access?

Tell your dealer to replace the bulb under warranty? That's the best way to gain access. If you are still in Louisiana, come to Baton Rouge. These guys can gain access...

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofbatonrouge.net/

Why would you pay shop time to fix a BMW scooter that's less than a year old?

2K posts, Boom!

cbolling 08-12-2013 07:36 PM

I don't imagine a bulb is a warrenty item.

andoulli 08-12-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 22088052)
I don't imagine a bulb is a warrenty item.

Really, in a $12K scooter less than a year old? My 2007 Silverwing doing fine with the original factory bulb.

cbolling 08-12-2013 07:40 PM

Really

cbolling 08-12-2013 07:41 PM

Is oil or tires covered?

steveWFL 08-12-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby4life (Post 22083217)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...vatars/eek.gif For a bulb???

andoulli 08-12-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 22088096)
Is oil or tires covered?

No, oil and tires are not covered. Clearly you want to argue a point. Have at it. Where is the OP here, huh? You really believe a BMW dealer is going to charge 2 to 3 hours shop time to replace a bad bulb on a 8 month old scooter? I'll call my shop in the morning and find out. You want to do the same?

andoulli 08-12-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 22088096)
Is oil or tires covered?

Well, learn something new every day, you sir are correct.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...sStatement.pdf

Sucks though that you would have to pay for that repair on a very expensive scooter that's nearly new. Now I'm really glad I passed on buying one.

sinned 08-12-2013 09:16 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7.8 磅</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <w:DoNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <w:DoNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Seriously, is there no way to get to the rear of the headlights from either up top or underneath round the front forks area? The latter might require one to get down on the ground, and look up to the underside of the front in by the forks. Insert a hand up there and do some exploring... might find the rear of the headlight using such a method. It's worked for me in the past.

I'd find it unbelievable that there isn't some other method to get to the headlights to swap out a bulb on the fly without removing the tupperware!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:普通表格; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Rugby4life 08-13-2013 09:03 AM

I messaged the BMW Motorrad USA Facebook page yesterday. I got a response about an hour ago saying a customer relations rep would contact me. There was enough detail in the response to let me know it wasn't a robo-response. We'll see what happens.

Rugby4life 08-13-2013 09:18 AM

Just got a follow up phone call from the customer relations rep. They're talking with the dealership about how to make this as painless as possible. We'll see.

cbolling 08-13-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoulli (Post 22088182)
No, oil and tires are not covered. Clearly you want to argue a point. Have at it. Where is the OP here, huh? You really believe a BMW dealer is going to charge 2 to 3 hours shop time to replace a bad bulb on a 8 month old scooter? I'll call my shop in the morning and find out. You want to do the same?

Certainly not trying to argue.

acejones 08-13-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoulli (Post 22088319)
Well, learn something new every day, you sir are correct.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...sStatement.pdf

Sucks though that you would have to pay for that repair on a very expensive scooter that's nearly new. Now I'm really glad I passed on buying one.

How do you feel about BMW of Baton Rouge now ?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:52 PM.