ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Burgman 650 Executive (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99483)

Tifighter 10-04-2005 07:02 PM

New Burgman 650 Executive
 
The Burger 650 Executive officially launched on the Suzuki USA site yesterday:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

They couldn't let Honda have the most expensive scooter, could they?

Bayou Boy 10-04-2005 07:29 PM

Oh my lord :eek1

I payed $500 less than that for my Strom 1000 before taxes and stuff. Brand New.

I kinda want a scoot. But not that bad.

Photog 10-04-2005 07:35 PM

Apparently there's a market. :eek1 I guess. :eek1

I wonder what the research showed? Re-entry riders? Noobs? Older riders? People wanting an automatic? The euro market?

Apparently they are people with bigass limits on their VISA card.

JohnTM 10-04-2005 07:50 PM

Looks like it was designed to eat Silverwing market share. Looks just like one to me.

twinrider 10-04-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Oh my lord :eek1

I payed $500 less than that for my Strom 1000 before taxes and stuff. Brand New.

I kinda want a scoot. But not that bad.

Why surprised about the price? The Burgman 650 Executive's liquid cooled parallel twin DOHC motor is only 350cc smaller than your V-Strom's, and it's mounted in a rigid motorcycle-style frame, just like your bike. It has an aluminum swingarm, just like your bike. Dual discs up back and a single disk in the back, just like your bike. Radial tires/aluminum rims, just like your bike. But unlike your bike, the Exec comes with ABS, a multimode transmission, a 500 watt alternator, an electric windscreen, retractable mirrors, a full fairing and about 70 liters of built-in, waterproof storage. And you never have to worry about lubing or changing chains -- the Exec's drive belt is rated for the life of the bike.

BTW, I'm sure some dealers will sell it for less than MRSP :1drink

Photog 10-04-2005 07:52 PM

Wow...cool!

http://www.full-gas.hu/2004/burgman650_2004/ENGINE.jpg

Burgman engine.

Bayou Boy 10-04-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinrider
Why surprised about the price? The Burgman 650 Executive's liquid cooled parallel twin DOHC motor is only 350cc smaller than your V-Strom's, and it's mounted in a rigid motorcycle-style frame, just like your bike. It has an aluminum swingarm, just like your bike. Dual discs up back and a single disk in the back, just like your bike. Radial tires/aluminum rims, just like your bike. But unlike your bike, the Exec comes with ABS, a multimode transmission, a 500 watt alternator, an electric windscreen, retractable mirrors, a full fairing and about 70 liters of built-in, waterproof storage. And you never have to worry about lubing or changing chains -- the Exec's drive belt is rated for the life of the bike.

BTW, I'm sure some dealers will sell it for less than MRSP :1drink

Yea, all of that is cool.
And I understand the point.
And it would work fantastic for street touring.
But I doubt they sell many. :deal

And that last one is just my opinion,
But I bet it turns into a fact.

twinrider 10-04-2005 08:09 PM

If gas prices keep going up I bet they'll sell plenty. The ABS Burger rocks both as a commuter and a weekend tourer.

Photog 10-04-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Yea, all of that is cool.
And I understand the point.
And it would work fantastic for street touring.
But I doubt they sell many. :deal

And that last one is just my opinion,
But I bet it turns into a fact.

I dunno.

I'm skeptical, too.

But lately we're seeing a lot ot technology being put into scooter design. The number of scooters sold in the US ain't huge right now relative to, say, motorcycles, and there's been a dip in UK sales...haven't looked at Germany, etc. From those numbers, I'd think that they'd hold the line on what's out there and just make incremental changes.

But--damn--look at the Honda Griffin. And this Burgman. And Kymco is doing well from what I've heard, and TnG is beefing up their marketing.

It's got me wondering if they're anticipating something we don't see just yet, or if these maxi's are selling better than we think

I think we'll see a fuel-related spike in scoot sales--but I'm thinking those will be 250 and under bikes.

I just wonder what these manufacturers are up to with pouring money into the maxis.

It's all good...:1drink

Bueller 10-04-2005 08:15 PM

Jeebus, zook, lay off of the steroids. 518 LB dry weight??? That's not a scooter.

Bayou Boy 10-04-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinrider
If gas prices keep going up I bet they'll sell plenty. The ABS Burger rocks both as a commuter and a weekend tourer.

It won't be for the mileage. It gets the same as my Strom as well as just about any other bike.

I'd rather have one of the 150cc scoots for commuting. Now I think that this thing is really cool. I just don't understand how this gets the OK to produce and other jap manufacturers don't bring bikes to the US that would sell that are already produced for distributing in other areas.

As a business owner I just don't get it.

Photog 10-04-2005 08:23 PM

I'd love to try one, though.

What's the top end? :ear

I've heard they're plenty fast.

Tifighter 10-04-2005 08:32 PM

I don't think they will have a lot of trouble selling them. Here in Seattle, my local Suzie dealer never has B 650's on the floor long, but they always seem to have 2 year old Silverwing trade ins. Suzuki has a few years of sales history for the regular B 650 model in the USA, and I am sure the numbers support the move. The Exec has been on sale in Europe, Japan and Canada for awhile too, so its not entirely a flying leap...

There are plenty of guys on the burgmanusa forum that want one...

twinrider 10-04-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
It won't be for the mileage. It gets the same as my Strom as well as just about any other bike.

I'd rather have one of the 150cc scoots for commuting. Now I think that this thing is really cool. I just don't understand how this gets the OK to produce and other jap manufacturers don't bring bikes to the US that would sell that are already produced for distributing in other areas.

As a business owner I just don't get it.

Yep, it wouldn't be for the mileage compared to other bikes -- though it's not bad, I get about 52mpg on my Exec. It would be for the mileage compared to cages that get 15mpg. I'm guessing that people who wouldn't consider riding to work on a motorcycle would consider the Burger because of its automatic transmission, decent power (particularly compared to other scoots) great weather protection and large storage capacity. That's what's been happening in Europe. Suzuki is the most miserly of all the Japanese makers. It wouldn't introduce the Executive if it didn't believe it would sell. North American sales of the standard Burgman (as well as the Exec in Canada) probably convinced it to make this move.

Regarding top speed, a bit over 100mph.

brianwheelies 10-04-2005 09:49 PM

The burgmans have a nice forum too. I think you'd be quite surprised of their sales. Heck, I want one, the dealer says that they will go 119mph too. My DR650 won't do that. If it had very good cornering clearance I'd probably already have one. Imagine all the goodies you could hook up to this bike, heated everything, computer while you ride, tv, run your house even.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014