Old 06-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteWait

Sidecar frame is level.
Fender is vertical.
Yet somehow the sidecar wheel has 2.25 degrees of lean.
The suspension isn't on that axis, so load can't cause that like it would on an old Corvette.
There is no adjustment available to you to change that; short of welding.
No wonder your tire is tight to the fender.

You could get the wheel vertical by tilting the frame 2.25% and start from there. Won't help the fender clearance.

Seems odd, but it's only a photo.
I agree with Walt - nice job on the photo mark-up too - there's something FUBAR in the sidecar's swingarm geometry - my hunch is that the stub axle itself may be welded on off-axis, but it's also possible that the swingarm's pivot itself could have been misaligned.

Either would produce the camber we're all seeing - I think you need to forward these posts to Jay at Dauntless for his opinion, you may need to stop off in the NorthWet to get the swingarm changed.

As long as there's adequate fender clearance, and the sidecar tire isn't wearing abnormally fast, the couple of degrees of camber shouldn't hurt the handling very much. I'd be a BIT paranoid though, and carefully check the axle's fore-and-aft orientation too - a fraction of a degree of toe-in or toe-out relative to the sidecar's frame can have pronounced effects on pull and headshake.

The Cozy/Globe sidecars mount their stub axles on a movable plate whose slots have about 1" of fore-aft motion, and about 1/2" of side-to-side play. It's a bit of a Dog's Breakfast to set one up - I used to put a Magic Marker spot of the wheel rim, and use a set of inside calipers to measure from the frame to the wheel to set the proper toe-in and lead. This involved a lots of swearing and waving about of large rubber mallets.

Have a good trip & flip us a PM when you get up this way....

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote