View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
A couple of simple observations and then back to bed so I can work tomorrow - I am going to feel it at work tomorrow I am sure. I'll try to come back tomorrow sometime so I can post some more info.

This is a tall bike - 37" with a stock seat IIRC. All the more tall because I had Tasky's install a tall seat. I am 6'6" tall, but I have a 32-33" inseam. When I sit on the bike it sags of course so I can flat foot on a level surface, but getting on and off the bike requires lifting my leg to a degree that I am not used to, made all the harder by my bad back.

There was a couple of times when I had to turn the bike around in tight quarters where the height of the bike worked against me, but other than that I didn't notice it.

Part of the purpose of the bike is to get me off my ass and out doing something that will help get me in shape, or at least slow down my getting out of shape. After just ten minutes of riding off-road in mostly street gear I was sweating like a stuck pig and I wasn't doing anything hard at all. So I think this will help in this regard.

This bike has a sweet transmission. That was something I noticed when I rode the demo bike. No clutch needed. Very smooth and easy from one gear to another. It seemed to get smoother as I rode - at first it wasn't as smooth as the demo bike - a bit notchy, but still very easy to shift. Just think about shifting and its done. I didn't miss a shift or shift unintentionally all day, and that is on a new bike - I usually screw up a shift on a bike new to me at least once.

Oh, and a couple of other things before I forget:

There seems to be a lot of intake noise when I open the throttle more than a trivial amount. A lot as in it sounds like exhaust noise - indeed, it overwhelms the exhaust (which is very tame but sounds good, especially on deceleration) but I am pretty sure the noise is coming from the intake and not the exhaust.

The spark arrestor was loose when I got home. I'll have to put something on it or I will loose it for sure. I didn't see anything else that was loose when I checked the bike over after the ride.
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 11:29 PM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote