View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Sharon and Elmer -

Glad your motoring along in (relative) bliss, inclement weather and tornado warnings aside . As a famous Norwegian Moto-Adventurer once told me:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad weather gear."

I'm not sure that gloves and/or helmets are made that don't leak at some point (especially flip-up helmets), but after many years of trying every remedy, I have found that PinLock anti-fog inserts really do work, amazingly well! They are not available for all helmets, but you might ask around when you visit motorcycle shops and see if they carry any.

My current favorite helmet is the Arai XD series, not everyone's cuppa tea, but it works for me (has even displaced my former favorite, a Schuberth). The PinLock insert has made it a good "all weather" hat for my tours. Here is the URL for the PinLock website:

Pinlock Anti-Fog Insert

In regard to losing your luggage, you really need to "lose" whatever strap you are now using (even though, I know, they are color-matched to the rig), and discover the security of ROKStaps:

ROKStrap Home Page

More and more motorcycle shops have gotten the religion and now carry the long "motorcycle" adjustable flat stretch straps. The design is brilliant, and they really work because they maintain tension on the load at all times. You shouldn't have left home without them .

And, for what it's worth, the weather here in the Seattle area has been just super for the last couple of weeks. Hope the trend holds for your visit here!
Best,
Mikepa,
Thanks for the advice!! We're thinking about replacing our helmet as well so, will do that first then look into Pinlock Anti-Fog insert...looks rather interesting. As for ROKStrap....well, Elmer has 8 of them already but he thought it would be OK to just "tuck" em in between 2 sacks and it would stay in place... ahem, had I known that I would have strapped them down properly! We thought we'd get by with our Walmart suit....got a bit lazy while our one piece BMW rainsuit sat nice and dry in our trunk...
We're enjoying the good weather you've been having. Hope it will stay that way for the most part of our trip.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 06-13-2009 at 07:59 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote