living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Strongly recommend that you take a breath;
OK - I've taken a breath now...

Quote:
The GPSmap 620/640 is NOT a GPSmap 276C/376/476 replacement. It IS a large screen nuvi.
Agreed - in terms of functionality - it is essentially a large-screen nuvi with a built-in marine map. BUT - that's not how they market it. They offer plenty of nuvi models at lower price points with simple features and functionality. However, the ~$1,200 640 IS positioned as a replacement for the 478 and that's how the Garmin sales force touts it. Like the 478, it IS categorized as a chartplotter that also supposedly goes from "sea to land" for water/road warriors.

Quote:
If you buy this unit expecting similar technical features to your 276 then you will be seriously disappointed.
Uhm - I believe I made it pretty clear in my post that I will NOT buy this unit, but I am seriously disappointed with Garmin's apparent change of direction for the worse: no longer building cutting edge, innovative GPS products, not to mention their rapidly declining customer service and technical support.

My point is that, with GPS technology having become as ubiquitous as it has - in the sense that almost every smartphone now includes it - I'm dismayed at how Garmin is evidently making their products dumber, rather than competitively differentiating themselves by attempting to retain the leading edge of product innovation and feature richness. I'd rather use my iPhone's GPS/Map over any nuvi, for example - it pretty much does everything a nuvi can do, but also includes internet access for more comprehensive search functions and perpetually updated, over-the-air mapping. Regrettably, if they remain on their current track - they will go the way of the dinosaur very soon.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote