View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
G-Funk OP
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
2610 n00b - with just a few specific questions ....

Greetings everyone ....

So I finally pulled the trigger, in a frugal Irishman way, and bought my first GPS. After talking with some peeps I know, and checking out their 2610's, and doing some research, I decided to go with that one. It wasn't costly, and I'll have it in the next few days. It was an E-Bay score ....

I thought this would be good to introduce myself to the world of GPS's ..... and for under 100 bucks with a ram mount, I figured it better, than to really pull the trigger and go with a Zumo 550 ....... or the 660. Hell, if in a year I decide to upgrade to a newer unit, I'm sure I won't have wasted my 95 bucks (w/shipping) on the thing.

Anyhow - I've done some searching, I've checked out Garmin's site (which I feel is a little lacking for disco'd products) and it's left me with a few specific questions .....

My questions relate to maps and CF cards .....

1. I know the 2610 accepts Type 1 and Type 2 CF cards. I also have seen that the majority of maps are like at the 1.8gb size. Will the 2610 accept 2gb Type 2 CF cards? Yes it's a type 2 - but I haven't found anywhere about overall size limitations for CF cards for the 2610.

2. The unit I bought has (I believe) CN v.5 or it's v.6 - what's the newest CN version I can go with? I ask this, because - again - Garmin's site seemed a little lacking IMO - I've seen some links that refer to CN 2009 - but on Garmin's site they don't state that ...... unless I just didn't find it.

3. The main reason I bought a GPS - besides traversing back FS roads in Oregon, is for when I go to Vancouver Island, and Mexico, in the next few months. Another inmate had told me in a PM that his 2610 was great for all the back roads on V.I. - and so I'm assuming the unit will work out nicely for Mexico. On Garmin's site - there was nothing that I found for Mexico - so besides whatever ( most current ) version of N.A. CN I can get - what other maps can I buy that will work with the 2610?

I'm p.c. based - I really don't care if I have to buy maps .... meaning I'm not looking for free-bee's, but I just don't know where to look, and what's compatible (still) for the unit since it's a disco'd product.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

On a last note - the type of off-road riding I do in my area is primarily FS roads, BLM roads, and 2 track - and the paper maps I can get are more than acceptable - so I'm thinking there'd be even more info / detail - with current map software, etc ......

Thanks in advance to anyone the pipes up .....

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote