View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
NOSIGN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Lukas thanks for your reply. Your ultimate DR650 build up thread was what got me going in the first place! I blame U for the $ i'm spending on this project!

You're absolutely right, the DR650 holds its own but the going does eventually get tough - i've definately been there! The biggest PITA for me is its weight on fast and tight tracks but i'm planning to do some long adventure type rides where the benefits of the DR will outweigh the disadvantages. Plus, I felt that I needed to stock up on the boys toys before the baby was born, now that she's born, I cant get rid of the DR and buy a new CRF or WR

LC4 cush hub - thanks Lukas, i'm still searching for one, or a place that will punch holes in an 18" excel or talon rim to fit the DR and supply spokes in Oz.

Powdercoating or painting? - I decided on the PC and had my mind set on a satin/ automotive black... but when I got to the powder coaters, the chopkeeper showed me a brochure with many other shades of black. 1/2 hour later I chose " millenium grey". I'll post the pics soon - the frame is still bubble wrapped.

1997 KTM 300 EGS (EXC) Marzocchi 50mm conventional forks - I parted out this KTM but kept the goodies for the DR . I would certainly prefer the newer WP's but hey, it's like i got these for free. They are adjustable on compression and rebound and much thicker and taller than the DR's (i'll post the dimensions as I go). Hopefully the DR will be able to take some bigger hits with these bad girls.

DR650SE ('97) current project
CBR954 ('03) daily ride
CBR900 ('96) the 'ol days
CR250 ('03), 125 ('89), 80 ('85) the 'ol days
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
NOSIGN is offline   Reply With Quote