View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
wind_man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
As Kyle stated, we both achieved a few degrees in Mechanical Engineering and went our separate ways. I returned home to work for a BOP contractor who was riding the wind power boom and went straight to work in west Texas. This picture really makes these things look small, but to the middle of the rotor, these things are 262.5 feet tall and the blades are 123 feet long each. If there is anyone else in the wind industry out there reading this, these are GE 1.5MW SLE machines. We installed 172 south of Big Spring TX last year.

I was mainly involved in the installation process of the turbines and got some fun safety training out of it! This is a picture of us learning how to get out of the towers as fast as possible if there is a fire in the 'nacelle' which is the box part where the generator, main shaft, and gearbox are. It takes some nerve to do this, but like anything you get used to it.

In high school our weekends usually involved heading to Western NC to learn to drift on the fire roads and I always figured there was a way to follow these roads across the country. Thus, I eventually found Sam and the TAT......
The price of man in motion is the occasional collision. Motor racing is dangerous. In order to be competitive in this business it is necessary for both man and machine to operate at the outer edges of their respective performance envelopes. The closer we come to the edge, the greater the risk of falling off. -Carroll Smith

wind_man screwed with this post 06-24-2009 at 11:38 AM
wind_man is offline   Reply With Quote