View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,134
Still going - Day 5

Day 5 - "Utah here we come"

Friday, July 3 - In spite of weather forecasts calling for storms.We woke to find a most beautiful day for riding . After yet another breakfast of stale bread and weak coffee, we packed up the and checked over the bikes and headed out to Four Corners and beyond to Monument Valley, Utah.

Filling up for the days ride - Day 5

Rolling towards Four Corners

Guess where ???

After "doing" Four Corners we headed SW into NM/AZ on US160 and the turned North towards Utah on US191.

As we headed North into Monument Valley not only did the scenery change greatly from previous days but the temps began to rise as well. A sign of things to come.

Catching US163 we headed north up to Bluff, UT to refuel, have a quick snack and fill up our Camelbacks in preperation for the ride thru the Valley of the Gods.

I cant say enough about how great this 18 mile(ish) ride was. Climbs, Swithbacks, Twisties and all in the dirt .

As the temps rose into the triple digits, we were sure glad we had the Camelbacks.... cuz it was HOT !!!!

Its said a picture is worth a thousand words...so here is about ten thousand words or so.....

Entrance to Valley of the Gods (off US163)

Princess Climbing past Locomotive Rock - Valley of the Gods

The Toad Valley of the Gods - Mexican Hat, UT

Exiting The Valley of the Gods out onto US261, we headed South to Mexican Hat for dinner and rest for the day.

Only mishap was all with my helmets windscreen. Somehow? 2 podscrews worked there way loose and I nearly lost the shield. Had to pulll of the road and luckliy 1 of the screws was still there. I made a quick repair and we gotback on the road.

Roadside Helmet Repair - Outside Mexican Hat, UT

Checking into our room at the Hat Rock Inn, found the room to actually be better than expected. We put the bikes up for the night, cleaned up and headed down the street to the Swingin Steak for dinner.

Princess saying goodnight to the bikes

Cookin Dinner @ The Swingin Steak - Mexican Hat, UT

Dinners done

Another end to another great day of riding. 185 miles or so of varying terrian and scenery. Looking forward to more of the same tomorrow when we head North.

some more pics from today:

Only in Utah ??

Friend of The Toad - The Lizard

Princess & The Toad - Mexican Hat , UT

More to come.....

The Toad screwed with this post 07-03-2009 at 08:00 PM
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote