Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #11548
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Thanks Gummee! Yeah, shifters/brake levers are intergrated together, so it's looking like a seperate shifter won't do the trick. I'm definately going to try to clean out the shifter mechaninsim, maybe I'll get lucky. If that doesn't work, I saw a nifty looking singlespeed conversion kit from Nashbar. Gonna talk to the guys at my LBS too, they helped me get the Raleigh back on the road. Thanks for the tip re: the chainrings and cassettes, something for me to remember once I find this elusive thing called "fitness". As slow as it is, this bike can go faster than I'm currently able to pedal it!
That is the same as the early XT shifter/brake levers I updated off my old Rocky Mountain. The shifters didn't work that well, but worked a bit. I'll look around for the box of parts when I get home. I'm not so sure they still exist in my garage. They were sort of trashy when I [pulled them off.

I bought a $120 set of Performance wheels, (rim brake or disc), swapped out the brakes for V-brakes. Shifters for 9-speed along with a new XT take-off rear and a 9-speed cassette for the wheel. Maybe $300 total? Not more than that. The Take-off XT ran about $50 or so. The shifters were the most money I think, about $100 or so. The XT front V-brake was on sale a year or so ago, but never did get the rear I wanted. I can't remember if I paid for it or not.
Anyway, I think if I had it to do all over again, I'd just go spring for the full squishie Stumpie and have been done with it for a year. I would have broekn the ribs long ago so be all healed by now too.