There's a saying around our shop when asked how a project is going: 90% done and 90% to go.
I look at the bike and it seems I'm about 5 minutes from buttoning it up and then I spend the whole day at the shop and when I leave it hardly looks any different. It's little things like accidently routing the brake line between the heated grip wire and the rest of the left controls; I can't leave it so I have to take stuff apart and reorganize the cables so they all lay perfect and clean and suddenly an hour goes by. It's deceptive how long stuff takes.
Since there's no way I'm going to build an entire exhaust in a weekend I decided to just clean the stock one and rewrap the front header. Shawn came by today and helped with the cleaning and mounting of the exhaust. Here's the newly wrapped headers:
This is an insanely tight exhaust system. It's going to be quite the project to make a new one that replicates most of the curves and then changes some as well. There's no room for error.
I decided to swap the silencers inside out since I've dented the right one more than a couple of times. Reversible silencers are a great idea:
Then the rear panels went on and I put the bike on the edge of the lift and pushed the back down to bleed the radiator. Chris came by and was amused that something so simple required such gymnastics - sorta true, it shouldn't be such a pain to do.
During this afternoons work I traded time in the paint booth prepping the windscreen. It was scratched and tired looking but I didn't feel like buying a new one and recutting the NACA's back in so I decided to paint the whole thing. Adhesion promoter and then some PPG K36 primer. Tomorrow I'll lay some putty into the ducts to smooth out the joins and then give it a light sand and another coat of primer and then color. Well, the absence of all color actually - black. When I clear it I'll also put some clear on the raw carbon fender to give that some depth and the additional darkness that clear will bring.
I'm oil away from starting it and James came through with a new seat so tomorrow should see the bike at least run on the stand and the oil changed. If I'm lucky I'll get the paint done by Sunday and that will be it for now. So close and only 90% to go...
Once again, we're going to be doing our BBQ on the roof deck tomorrow so if any ADV riders in the NYC area want to come by send me an email - at this point tomorrow will be busy so I might not be checking PM's.