View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
LadyDraco OP
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,480
The Hatton Ferry Run ..... Failed !!!

Things fell in to place for us on the farm to make the run to the Ferry a few weekends ago… So we could meet up with a few Inmates from ADV. As we all wanted to catch a ride on the last of the ferries that still use a poll to get across a river...” The James River” to be exact... We all were to meet on the North side of the ferry 11 am Saturday morning….
We left the farm a little after 5pm Friday evening the sky was a little cloudy but was clearing so we thought... LOL boy was that a mistake… We hit the Big Walker tunnel and on the other side it was a down pour!!… But we still thought we could run out of it… It did get to the point that we could no longer see... So we pulled off at a truck stop in Wytheville … Grabbed a snack & coffee … Then the rain let up we darned gear and when back out …
No sooner we started rolling good on the slab, dang it started getting heavy once again… Made another stop for more gear change, my part this time….
Finally the rain quit!!! Stopped for gear change so we could dry out ….
The skies cleared we’re rolling nice once again …. We stop for fuel in outside of Buchanan, it dawns on us we both forgot propane for the light…
Now this area has nothing …. All the stores were closing as it was getting late all that was open had NO propane… We stop at a Family Dollar to see if they have any, and nope out as well…
But the customer that I held the door open for said he only lived 3 miles up the road and he thought he had a few bottles at the house…..
I run back to Don and tell him what the man told me... Now of course riding down these dark roads following a total stranger can make your mind wonder… Hmmm could this guy be some kind of an axe murderer???
So we follow the local to his house that was a little farther then 3 miles …. But what the heck if we can have our light we can set the tent up in the dark and cook a little easier… We say our greetings to his family as he looks in the shed … He gives us the bottle!! How cool and nice was that…
He did have zombie cats !!!!

Wished us a nice camping trip and a safe ride up the mountain on RT 43 …. We have ridden 43 a good deal before so we knew how much fun it was going to be in the dark!!! It’s kind of like a mini Dragon!
What a blast at night!! Plus it drops us on The Blue Ridge Parkway about 10 miles from Peaks of Otter That was where we would stop and make camp for the night…

By now it’s 10 pm... We put up the tent... Don heads to so call check us in, I start to gather wood for a fire so we can have supper... I get a fire started before Don Returns... Had a great meal … Steak for Don I have little patty pan sq. and carrots, salad, we both have a side of noodles... Coffee and had a toast with some of the finest home made whiskey thanks Mark!! :

We get up make a fire have coffee & oatmeal, break camp load the bikes and we are off …

Readying to roll ....

We ride the BRP for a while ~ Ah early morning on the Parkway is a grand time.. One just has to watch out for all the wild life...

Then we hit rt 60 . Another cool road that we have been on a few times..

Get on US 29 for a while the hit rt 6 that will take us to Scottsville …..

We fuel up in town, hop on the Ferry road …

We show up at the north side.. HBurgNinja /FoxedupOne & his GF are there on The Maxi Scooters … And come to find out the Ferry is NOT running!! The river is now to low!! WTF !!!!… For almost a month the river was to high….

More Inmates show up we are now 11 strong and disappointed that it was a dead end with no service to get across the river…
Some of the folks it was there 4th /5th/7th time to get on the Ferry…. Before it’s closed down in Oct. For ever…. The ferry has been running since 1870 ..

We all did get a real once in a life time view...
A Black Snake climbed a tree for all of US to see... I took a bunch of video..
Very cool...

The group went on for some Que, Don and I headed back for home…..
We took a few back roads out get back on 6 to US 29 this time we take 130 to the BRP…
A road that we have never been on… It’s NO rt 60…… We rode the Parkway in and out of showers the rest of the afternoon Just missing the big rain events.. The parkway was empty of vehicles only saw a few motos out and a few Urals W/hacks as the Ural ride in was going on at WillVille …. We did see a Doe and her twin Fawns... They walked right in front of me ..... I hear Don on the CB.. Where are you?? I replied I had to come to a full stop for a Momma and her twins
Plus two of the biggest racks on two Bucks that we ever saw in a whitetail.. They must have been at least 12 pts.+ And in full velvet !! Yes they crossed in between Don and I :22yikes:.... I was ready for them as well : .. It was just that kinda of a weekend....
We hop off the Parkway at Rt 58

Decided to ride the slab home .. And hit bumper to bumper traffic for 4 miles !!! From I-77 to I-81 then back on I-77 get off on rt 52 and hit our favorite Grape Field Rd.. We had a great run on it… It was a great weekend....
Here's a link to the rest of the photos....Enjoy
Hatton Ferry Run .. Failed !!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote