View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #39
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Where was I on the big stuff, lets see the the evening of the Aug 16 coming out of Niagara Falls NY.

I left the town and got back on the NY thru-way aka turnpike as its called in OK. Got .50$ down the way and decided I need fuel, the darn gauge only works from half full on down, but at least the low level indicator helps clear up some of the mystery.

I got off the pike and had to drive quite a ways into the burbs of the falls to find a station and then met up with good ole Eddy, 80 young 80 just living life and looking for a cold drink. We get to talking and stuff and then low and behold a pretty girl walks by in some shadow of distress.

Eddy and I continue on our serious discussion and that said girl comes back out of the station and asks for assistance. Her problem stemmed from a child custody issue with her referred to 'dickhead' exboyfriend, husband, lover wth ever ex. He was supposed to meet her and exchange her son at the gas station and a predetermined time which previously mentioned dh did not show up and produce her child.

Seems she took the understandably hard and stormed out of the station parking lot and quickly was apprehended by local johnny law dog and giving some sort of aggressive/hazardous driving ticket. First questions from Eddie and I are 'Have you been drinking" Short answer was a little so we replied similitaneously your a lucking SOB and life is not that bad.

Her problem now was that her vehicle had run out of fuel and was stranded at the bar near where her encounter with the LEO occured caddiecorner to the station myself and Eddie are BSing. She needed a little fuel to get her on her way and I offered to do the baja siphon thing to get her going, just trying to be a super-hero and all, but first we suggested that she check insdie the station and see if they have a community jug just for these situations.

No luck with that so I being the decent person I think I am bought her a spanking new $10 jug that the station was selling so she could get on along. I'm just saying she was an attractive girl in a little dirty kind of way and I got the feeling she wanted more support but unfortunatley I had places I thought I needed to be more so I left it at that and I think it is right, however as she crossed the road in front of me with her new fuel jug recently topped off I couldn't help to think and rethink as I drove down the road to Albany. She seemed very nice and I hope she does well with her life because I know Eddie will be just fine. Here's that pair:

I'm just glad I could help a little.

I got the tank topped off and headed off East into the night. I pulled off at an unknown location that turned out to be the home of the Boxing Hall of Fame among other things.

Picture with the town location:

My digs for the night in the local commuter parking lot, I'm starting to really feel at home camping whereever the hell I feel like laying down. Damn I love that cot:

I got up the next morning when I wanted to and continued on my way into new lands that I've never been to before by moto or anything else. Maine, Vermont, NH are going down and it leave ND as the last of my 50, most are by bike now at this point. I think

The plan for the next day the 17th was to head to Mt Washington because of what I've read on here and the known highest recorded wind speeds well above 200 mph'es.

But first there is Vermont.

I jumped off of I 87 north out of Albany at Glen Falls area and think it was HW 4 that passed me into Vermont for my very first time. Vermont is a nice little state that care about the safety of motorcyclists, it is the only state that I know of that warns you of the potential dangers of the little bumps in the shoulders that keep the drousy people alive and lets the rest know its time to kiss their ass goodbye. Here's there helpful signs for those of us that don't already know, I've never spun out after hitting any:

Random gas station sighting in Vermont, some kind of armory I think:

I crossed over Vermont passing a few of the ski areas that I remembered hearing about, Killington and Pico and some of their nice high and cool roads which was neat to finally see their locations and even passed through Woodstock, maybe the real Woodstock there seem to be so many I not sure where it really happen, before my time anyway. Got over to I 91 and the Garmin headed me North along the border of NH where I found the sweet little rest area lit up with wifi which should be mandatory for all rest areas + 115v outlets scattered liberally thoughout the grounds. Here's one of the best rest stops in the Eastern US:

I was right there in that nice lush green shady spot surfing away, technology is crazy like that.

It took a long time to get away from Woodstock, it seemed like every body and their dog are cruising through driving slow trying to re-live it all. Somewhere it there I stopped and got the mule a new bobcat sticker that the nice dude just gave me, it could've been too cheap. Came from this place:

Here you go Bobcat, thinking of you. Its a cool sticker and I love running a bc.

Finally got to Hew Hampshire and went along HW 10 to keep from going all the way up to Littleton. I worked my way down to where I thought the road was for going up to the top of the mountain but ended up just being the train side. I would have to go aways around to get where I could drive up. Before I took off for the other side I stumpled down the road to the maintance shop and BSed with a grumpy old mechanic who seemed intested in the mule and curious if I could make it up the moutain and just in general grumpy about this and that. Told me have to go long way around to the other side, I guess he figured I didn't know how to use autoroute.

I went back up to the cog station and went down near the employee parking and met up with this little named John as well.

Turns out he's been a conductor for ~5years running the rails up and down the mountain. So me being little inquisitive about the whole thing started talking him up about the job and he obliged for my benefit.
The steamer needs roughly 1000 gal of water for a round trip and ~ton of coal to work itself up and back. Turns out that have started using the diesel version of the cog machine and it uses roughly 20 gal for its trip, do the easy math but you miss out on the historical value. I'm unsure what they run on Pikes Peak but one day I'll make both the trips I hope.

Some of the real cogger:

The little coal yard slash track yard:

Mt Washington is alright, but imperative that you know what side the roads on or you will have to skirt the mountain to get to the road. The cog RR on one side and the the fun road on the other. Unfortunately all the information I was armed with was Garmins location of Mt Washington Resort which happened to be on the wrong side, the West, of where I needed to be.

Its alright because the first off road experience of the trip happened here, the Jefferson Notch:

Hardly a HW:

Was a nice little skirting road that comes off the main road to the cog station that allows you to cut some miles off the trip to the other side and then another short gravel section that jumps from HW 2 to HW 16 bypassing Gorham. It was a nice trip to the other side for the road to the top that I'm glad I got in on. I have been running way to many interstates but sometimes that's just the way it is, stupid boat schedule.

The cog train was very interesting none the less, and expensive I might add. But since I was riding a more than capable bike I would save my sixty for another day and have a nice dinner with part later on in the day.

Impressive so that I might also add that it was the very first of its kind and the second highest in the world, Pikes Peak cog maybe the top honor.

The road going up the mountain was still $14 with included free sticker with list of rules on the back side included for your protection. After riding up this I think this would be a much better venue with lots more action than the Pikes Peak race to the top. This was one fun road, that is unless the yea hoos in front of you don't want use a provided turn out. I luckily only had one car I met up near the top. I had to be on of the last of the day going up so it worked to my advantage.

The mule up high in NH:

Lot of neat stuff up here, so much that I shouldn't post them all but here's a small selection of the neat stuff up top.

The summit proper:

The benchmark:

What happens to your bike if caught in a storm:

They have to chain the roofs down:

Thank goodness there was a pretty at the top to take my picture for me or this is what I'd have:

And the diesel cogger at the top getting ready to go down:

Now for the neat part about going down, they kick you off at 6:45pm and hopefully most everybody else has headed down by then and your ready. If your bike's got good brakes this works pretty cool. You just start off and go stealth mode all the way down, its fun to ride with no sound, must be like flying in a glider after flying a regular plane all your life. I made it all the way out to the road and scared the hell out of the older lady at the gate, don't think she expected to see anyone whooshing by.

Before I left NH I had to take a picture of one of these because there where a lot of them, one example:

Even got a spot for the people walking, how nice.

Time to find that dinner. Picked up some more fuel down by Glen, NH somewhere and met another unknown guy that used to work up on the North Slope and we started talking when he saw the mule's stickers. He talked about driving a belly dump semi and how they found the remains of a mamoth in a pond they where dredging from and how it shut the whole project down in a heartbeat. Maybe there is some truth to the propaganda video they show before the tour up there. Oh the stories and how I enjoy them most of the time.

I ended up going over to Portland to look for some lobster and found it here, duh:

I was charging the camera battery so no food pictures but I assure you it was a good lobster roll and local beer, blue moon-like clone.

Menu front, they even had little light em up lobsters when your order was ready. It was right on the wharf and there where some very nice boats tied up for me to check out.

It was late after eating but I not wanting to be stuck in Southern Maine in the morning having to drive up to the border and possibly run into lines at the border decided to move on up the road. I got to Bangor and just about called it. Was wanting something or maybe just needed to get off the bike for a while. Its amazing I didn't get thrown in jail driving around town well after midnight looking around for I don't know what. I had a couple of mountain dews and talked with one of the late night c-store workers before taking a siesta on the side walk next to the station to get built back up for the trip North.

I got some good rest and decided to go for it, didn't see any rather large animals but saw many of their kills spots. I did end up seeing two small kit foxes or something of the type, that have a pretty decent handle on how its supposed to work and they moved along with little worry.

I came into the border crossing off I 95 and rolled right up to the window and it was easier than ordered a grilled stuff burrito at Taco Bell.

After this I was feeling pretty tired and ended up pulling off near Woodstock, NB for some much needed sleep at another one of my fine free sites, this one right near the highway at a terminal branch in an industrial area, again no problems and no quesitons only waves from the workers as I pulled away from here:

That wraps up Aug 17th and starts me off for today for the next installment to get this thing back updated.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote