View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

So, I had been planning this big two day epic trip for the past couple of weeks. Spent hours zooming in and zooming out in Google Earth looking for pretty much an all dirt route from Kelowna through to the Kootenay's. Thanks to a couple of other ADVers in the Canada regional forum I had a bunch of GPS tracks and was getting stoked to go...

Now I thought I had discussed this solo trip with my wife. Explained that I was thinking about a very long first day ride and probably a night over then come home on Saturday in time for a prior commitment. Apparently her views on this were umm... shall we say entirely different...

Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. I had the day booked off already, she had to work and the kids already had a sitter. In the end, and after sleeping in way to late, I decided that I was going to damn well take a ride. Like many wives, my wife doesn't like the idea of me riding solo, so I told her I would check in a few times along the way. (Still looking at getting a SPOT so she can track me as I ride)

The revised plan was an afternoon trip south to Summerland via a "secret" trail posted on the Dualsport BC forum. I had not traveled this particular trail, but had sussed it out as a backup track for another ride I had done earlier in the season. It's pretty much impossible to get lost in that area anyway, so I was good to go.

Got all ready to go, and realized I had left my Klim riding jacket (Riff Raff Extreme baby!) in my wife's van. Ok, no big deal... my bike insurance was in it so I took it easy riding down to pick it up. No big fat wheelies!

Grabbed the jacket, hugs, kisses and promises of frequent check-ins and I was on my way. Slabbed it from Kelowna to just south of Peachland, turning off onto Hardy Rd. Followed that up the hill and hung a left on to Log Chute Rd which was to take me to the trail head. Handily there was a tree marked with the letters "SLD" Short for Summerland. That was easy! Unfortunately no pics of the tree... :(

Nice trail, kinda a single track and a half as it was narrower than a typical 4x4 road. It climbed nicely and followed the highway from a couple hundred feet above. It was a beautiful day, no clouds, sunny but not too hot. Cruising along nicely!

Beautiful view from a couple hundred feet above Hwy97:

Found this old run down and obviously not usable water flume:

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:42 PM
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote