View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Turned up the Little White FSR and followed the road up to the parking lot. It was hard pack with quite rocky sections.Caught me out a few times, but nothing serious. Got to the trailhead and started to make my way around the deactivations. Now, I should mention... They were damn serious about making sure that NO vehicles where going to go up this road:

The road runs perpendicular to this photo. It's fairly overgrown now, but that trench is pretty serious.

Second trench:

I made it around the trenches that were dug and continued on a ways further... I should also mention that I only started riding a dirt bike this year and my "trials" skills are not what we could call great. Or even good. Or even meh... After hopping about 15 logs:

This is what lay ahead:

I conceded defeat and turned around... I was sweating like a pig and had had enough! Made it back to the parking lot and continued down the FSR. a few hundred yards further it was blocked by a couple big concrete blocks. Plenty of room to get through on a bike, but a truck would have been difficult. This FSR/Trail was actually labeled as the Myra Canyon bypass. The Myra canyon section of the KVR has about 18 trestles over about 12km of rail bed. It is completely closed to all motorized traffic. It is a spectacular walk/bicycle ride though! I have taken our boys up numerous times. If you do make it onto the Myra Canyon section, take some crackers with ya. The chipmunks will climb right up your leg to eat out of your hand. My 4 and 2 year olds were thrilled with that! Anyway, the bypass was made to allow people traveling the KVR a way to get around the Myra section after the fire burned the trestles down. They have since been rebuilt.

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote