View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
Pilette flew in early Friday morning. I got some odd looks and several comments while I was waiting to pick her up with the Bandit. The airport security guy said he'd never seen anyone picked up by a motorcycle.

Pilette had some flight-drama - late plane, luggage hassles etc but eventually made it with her stuff. She packed impressively well and everything fit on the bandit just fine.

Friday we rode down to Co. Springs for a "chuckwagon" dinner and Western show at the Flying W ranch. A great ride down though mountain twisties, complete with a Black Bear sighting, great food and great entertainment. There was a dude on a fiddle named Tony who was totally amazing and a fellow mensa geek:laugh I had him sign my helmet. They also had motorcycle-only parking complete with a "No Cages Allowed" sign - my kinda place

Saturday we decided to hit Mt. Evans at some point. Pilette's first exposure to mountains Colorado style.

Pilette had initially wanted to run all the way up to Cheyenne WY to visit a Bison ranch. She'd never seen such critters other than in a zoo and was quite keen to check them out. Unfortunately we realized that we'd simply planned too much for the few days she had in CO and something had to be cut and the Bison were it.

As we were riding up the mountain on I-70 toward Mt. Evans I spotted the Buffalo overlook pulloff and pulled off. Pilette was elated to see the Bison!

The sign

Most of the Bison were on the other side of the road, but that matters little when you are packing a 300mm lens on a 1.6 crop sensor body.

Then a couple of Bison were spotted on our side of the road (shot with the standard lens I think).

The Bandit and I at the Bison pull-off.

A roadside flower

After Bison-lust was satisfied we continued on.

She was impressed with the view on the road to Mt. Evans that she had to climb around for a pic

This is the shot she got.

The road there isn't half bad.

The views only improved as we climbed further up the mountain.

Pilette and I donned warmer stuff part-way up Mt. Evans. It gets cold at 14' feet, even in the summer.

We hung out with these critters.

Pilette thought they were pretty cool.

Some decided to block traffic.

Others hung out on the bluff above the roadway.

The Bandit struck a pose

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote