Thread: Z1000
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #31
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky
Can some of you z1000 owners take me through the pros and cons of the bike? I've posted elsewhere, but I've noticed a few z's around lately for very reasonable prices. I keep going back and forth between a second bike with classic looks (sporty or bonnie) and strong performance (sv1000, SP3), and I think the performance bug is winning! I'd like to use the bike for commuting, cruising around town, and enjoying the twisties (no knee scraping for me yet!). The question has been asked before: what is it like living with a z1000? Why are so many stories on this thread of people who have sold their z?
I have a Z750s, which is similar. Softer front end, cheap rear shock, 250cc's less displacement. But here's my take. Great all around bike. I run out of nerve before the bike reaches the limits. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does everything well enough to leave a big smile on your face. And thanks to the smaller displacement, I get 50 mpg. I think the 1000 gets high 30's to low 40's.