View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer
So here's some questions:

1) have any of you guys bought bikes from the States and have any input?
2) would the buyer really have to pay taxes in CA and then again in Canada?
3) what documentation does the border really need?
First of all, tell him to relax and help him as much as you can. I bought my 950 in Seattle and the seller did all the faxing of docs for me to U.S. Customs for the export paperwork when I got to the border. It takes a bit of trust from both seller and buyer. You also need to get him a copy of the bikes service/recall history from your local KTM dealer. This doc must list all or any recalls that have been performed on the bike. He will need this when he gets back home and wants to register his bike with the Feds. I hope your bike is an '07 or lower. KTM refused to certify '08's up for Cdn. importation from the U.S.

2) The buyer should not have to pay the Cali tax (as long as he doesn't transfer the plate into his name. I used the previous owners plate to ride home. Totally legal, as I had 10 days to complete the transfer. ICBC will sell him transit insurance to get the bike home. He just needs the VIN and plate # from you before he leaves or he can do it from there via fax). He will pay Cdn tax at the border. No import taxes.

3) You have to fax a copy of the title, registration and bill of sale to U.S. Customs 3 working days (Mon-Fri) before the bike gets to the border. He must cross at the border crossing where you faxed the docs. On the Canadian side they will want to look at the title and bill of sale.

Go here for step by step info:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=85230

Cheers
Richard

Deuce screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 10:17 AM
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote