View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
K1W1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Trials books - what have you got?

Finding this section on ADV got me looking back through the library to see some of the "oldies but goodies" that are buried from way back.

The first book I came across was this. The "must have" for all 1970's trials riders.

This edition is a 1974 print and whilst all the photos depict Sammy Miller demonstrating techniques on his Bultaco the preface page has a Bultaco team photo with the note. "Runners change with the years. Sam was with Bultaco to the close of 1973. In April 1974 he was retained by Honda Europe to expand their trials side by developing machines and managing their trials team."

The second book I came across is this one

Don Smith was a former works Montessa who was reatined by Kawasaki to develop their trials bike in the early 1970's. This particular edition is a 1975 and contains at least one photo of the little known first attempt from Kawasaki the 450cc works bike. One of other the interesting photos in the book is a very young Don Smith instructing a very much younger Barry Sheene in the art of Speedway riding!

For those who are not familar with the history when the big four Japanese campanies decided trials was the way of the future in the earlier 1970's they all scrambled to obtain top English riders to develop their bikes. Honda of course got Miller and Kawasaki got Smith. Mick Andrews, former Ossa star was responsible for the Yamaha TY series (spot the family resemblence) and Suzuki employed one Gordon Farley.

What books, particularly classics do others here have on their shelves?
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote