View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #68
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder
My favourite part of Long Way Round was when their cameraman broke his BMW in half and had to buy one of those horrible 250cc Russian two stroke bikes that looks like a CZ from the 1970s, which look like a DKW from the 1940s..

Then he proceded to skate over the mud that the BMW "adventure bikes" were getting bogged down in. he was having much more fun and making much more progress. Showing just how "equipment envy" has hit RTW biking. You dont need the BMW tractors, 10 feet tall and weighing half a tonne. In fact, they are a hindrance.

There is a bloke doing it on a 110cc Honda postie bike in the Ride Reports section right now, and another on a rigid Harley chopper. Much more sensible choices for RTW rides.

And just reading Ted Simon's new book Jupiter Revisited, his (older) BMW was too tall, too heavy and too clumsy. He fell off and broke his leg. Then did away with the huge panniers and stopped filling the huge gas tank up all the time and did much better.

Did much better on his much more basic, and smaller 500cc Triumph in '73.
There are also guys and girls doing the ride down through Africa on mountainbikes right now - if I follow your line of reasoning, that should be an even more sensible choice

Don't people ride bikes and do trips for many different reasons?
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote