View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #71
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,534
OK, so what if VFR is trolling. I will bite, too.

It is so hard for me to take any of their tribulations seriously when you know they have a support crew with them that it makes the whole thing into a joke. But then all man vs. nature docudramas make me feel that way. If I had a film crew along they would carry the crap and I would be on a bare bones 690 rocketing through everything.

That is the experience I want to see. The whole loaded down for the appearance of roughing it and making good video just doesn't work for me. I would rather see somebody just show the support crew carrying the crap and show the riders really riding. To me, the Food Network series was better and more realistic.

Somehow trudging along on two wheeled SUV's just doesn't excite me. But then I am a crotchety old bastard from the On Any Sunday generation with a need for speed. I would like to see how those series would have been filmed with Bruce Brown directing them.

As for harm to the sport, it just provides me with entertainment. I got a kick out of watching guys on GS's and even a V-Strom ride the Shenandoah 500 dual sport event. Stuff we just blew through without even a downshift were monster obstacles to those guys.

I don't get it myself. But watching a guy have to make a miracle save at walking speed on a 500 pound bike because of an "obstacle" I just roosted through is kind of fun. It has a kind of "here hold my beer" quality to it that I find fascinating and a little disturbing.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 09:19 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote