View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #72
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
I'm a relative new comer to motorbike riding, starting with a Virago 250cc about 12 years ago.

What really piqued my interest in 'adventure' riding was seeing "Dust to Glory", that I rented on a whim because my daughter was a co-driver on a rally team. And because the cover kinda looked like a Mad Max film. Watching the sections about the motorcycles though really caught my imagination. I'd read LWR (this was in '06), not so much because it was about motorbikes but because it was about 'travel' - then I discovered this place followed by seeing the LWR videos..then I was hooked on the idea. Now I have an F650GS - but the only touratech goody I own is for my Zumo 550. To be honest, I couldn't really watch the series with a critical eye as I didn't know enough about this type of riding at the time - I was just fascinated by the whole endeavor. On the other hand they may have had support but they also made the ride their own...and best of all we got to "see it". I do have to say that my favorite character was Claudio. He will always be my inspiration as he went into the ride pretty green, kind of like I am.

I now appreciate much more the challenges this type of riding represents and appreciate that I was introduced to it by this program.

I enjoyed the series alot - as well as LWD and Charlie's run of the Dakar. I have always been bemused by the vehement negativity toward them from some inmates here but "meh...whatever".

I now have 3 bikes...I already owned a Piaggio BV500 - but yesterday I picked up a gently used 2009 Yamaha TW200....lots of lovely backroads to meander here abouts. And I consider the 'adventure riders' my "tribe" whether its a BMW, KTM, KLR or V-strom and the other dualsports in between. Everytime I see one of my tribe - it just makes me smile. Viva La Ride!!!!

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!

svizzerams screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 01:04 PM
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote