Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #12560
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

Oddometer: 113
Wind is the worst - and there is NO such thing as a tailwind [except that this is created by the powerbar lunches....].

I commute year-around here in PDX,OR [15 miles give or take depending on the mood]. Including ice and snow and the rain and some hail...blah blah blah....and have ridden in temps from 106 F to 12 F. I cheat and keep to the hardtail for the winter riding [have yet to build up that cyclocross bike with disks]...

Hands are the hardest to me - below 20 degrees and I double layer a pair of moutaineering mitts over mid-weight REI riding gloves. For mid-20's and 30's I go with a set of weather resistant Performance heavy gloves.

Agree on the under 50's - knee protection. Be it knickers or tights over the rest. Wool clothing is popular here and readily available on-line [but somewhat pricey].

Go with thermal/poly tops of varying weights from REI [zipper necks for venting]. Light vest [Zephyr] for a chill or rain cape [gotta love Phil and Paul] for chill and rain. Around freezing and I add a micro fleece top. The head gets a doo rag all the year because I'm follically challenged and when it is mid-20's a turtle fur ear/head band thing.

Feet get the cheap $19 performance full booties for rain and cold. If it is snowy and in the teens - I actually add plastic bags inside the shoes over the socks to trap heat.

Also full fenders for the wet...

40's is nothing!

If you woke up this morning, it is because Jack Bauer spared your life.

get-primitive
JeffPrice is offline   Reply With Quote