View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #4350
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Are those for hard bags? looks solid!

if so, they'd be perfect for chill touring! I'm an enemy of hard bags for the tougher DS stuff though (paging dumbGRRRRRL on last Moab trip...). I nearly broke my leg on a KLX 650 somewhere between SLC and Cedar City (solo, but w/ SPOT) in the bfe west dez by dropping a foot for a turn and having the Pelican case crush from the knee down (paging Hick for bone names...) and don't advise hard cases for anything tough-ish. actually just a big bruise and the fear of God in nowhereland.

I'm running the soft dirt-bagz now, and for big tours security for "your precious" amounts to nothin' w/soft bags (but wear a bullet proof vest if i'm actually near by & yer jackin my shit)

Do ADV riders get a homie discount? I'd run hard bags on some of the stuff i ride, but do note the broken lower leg syndrome... I'd be interested in a hard/soft option (dirt-bags are soft only!; begin Pluric/Infidel crass sex ref here...) so i'll be awaiting the release of the excellent experience design of the Harcus rack! Woo -Hoo!

I modded (Stan "the Man", modded) my subframe to handle XR650R w/ dirt-bagz to handle some extra abuse (...like, pick the piggy up by the tail rack!... research for the Hickster! KTM's suck!... Wanna trade, since they suck?) anyway, hauling gear is a function of numerous factors...

-center of gravity (physicists, please correct me!, what the hell is moment of inertia? )
-weight
-security (if needed, usually not)

What did i miss?

I'd like to see an equation that computes the optimal luggage system for varying agendas...

Thoughts, anyone?
Yes, those are hard bags. It's a custom fiberglass box designed for Dual Sport abuse. Size is 18 L x 15 H x 8 W & attaches to the support brackets with a quick release latch system.

The racks are .75 in dia steel tube MIG/TIG welded & ties in to major structure points on the frame. On the XR, there are added support struts that triangulate the structure to avoid subframe issues.

I have been developing these for several years & regularly carry 1 gal of gas on each bag (7 lbs) & plenty of tools, gear, etc. My recent trip to Moab & had 100 lbs in gear, tents, etc. These were designed particularly for a good fatigue life with hi loads. I have read too many threads of guys in Columbia (etc) looking for a welder. Ridiculous!

Since my plan is to sell these, along with many other products I have developed, I will post a thread in Vendors to introduce everything. We have been working the web site but we are not quite ready.

One of the major features of this bag systems is that all bikes use the same bags. Only the rack / bracket system changes by bike. This means you can buy only one set of bags & move them between yout XR, your KTM, your KLR....whatever. You save money & avoid packing & repacking.

Here is a shot of the bags on the XR...

Give me a few days, I have more info in Vendors.

Thanks for the interest...
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote