View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #93
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Hi all,

Sorry I couldn't write back to you all, but I've been busy over the weekend celebrating my 18th birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Tony,

How about wireless on everything? Wireless front wheel sensor, wireless handlebar controls for odometer and roadbook, wireless from GPS to repeater. Now that you've conquered the basic instruments, how about making your products WAY superior to everything else on the market? I think lots of people would love to get rid of all the wiring mess that comes with these things, not to mention the troubles from the front wheel sensor wire breaking (I've seen several). There are lots of new super low power wireless modules available that might run for a year or more on a small watch battery (see pg 10 here, or ZigBee, or DASH7). Production is boring. Go back to the fun of circuits and coding for 2010!

Scott
Nice idea Scott, but I think wireless in the world of rallying, or offroad racing for that matter, isn't the way to go.
Like "borsiin" already said, going as low tech as possible is the best option you have.

Sure your wheel sensor cable can brake, but a broken wireless sensor wouldn't be all too different.
The more different components you bring into a system, the more likely it'll become faulty! Take my TMs and Repeater as a dumb example. There is only ONE chip inside, that does all the work (LCD control, data assesment, wheel and button interrupts, etc.). Take a look at the inside of what the competition has to offer, and you'll see that they have at least 2 chips inside. I like to keep my stuff as simple built as possible.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but probably not reliable enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsiin
Touratech made a roadbook superior to the MD
How the hell can you call Touratech's Roadbook series superior to MD's? Those RBs are the biggest pieces of shite I have ever seen!
Far to complicated with their 2 motor system, and that overboard circuit board in the middle that does the 12V switching between the motors!
WAY TOOOOOO COMPLICATED!!!!!

MDs are simple. ONE motor that does all the work. If you have ever taken apart an MD RB, you can thell that a real genius sat behind the actual design of it (the clutching bearing on the schafts). The one from TT looks like one made by a kid in preschool

My dad still uses his old MD RB which he bought back in '92 for the Dakar Rallye. He then had a big crash which heavily deformed it, so he just bent it back to shape, and it has bee running ever since and been on over 20 rallyes thereafter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie
Loving your work Tony!!

Even the fancy manual!

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/tripmaster-user-manual

Once I have the units in Ill let you know more
Thanks for the positive input Antal! I will have to update the PDF, as some important things are missing (such as how to mount the wheel sensor correctly!).

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec

schattat screwed with this post 10-26-2009 at 03:46 PM
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote