View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #146
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Food

So, let's move on into the fuel that keeps the rider going...food.

As you can see, I didn't get pre-packaged backpacker's dehydrated food, because I'm into non-processed organic foods these days.

I had the same dinner every night, because I love it.

Dinner:

Dehydrated Ground beef

Buy lean ground beef, cook thoroughly in a skillet (optional: add herbs for flavor or flour so meat will rehydrate with gravy), and drain off all fat. Crumble into small pieces and dry at 140 degrees until brittle.

Place the meat on a nonstick cookie sheet (do not use window-screen wire mesh, which may be chemically treated). Set the oven on"warm" and use an oven thermometer (available at your supermarket) to monitor the temperature; adjust as necessary. Leave the door slightly ajar.

For rehydrating, I didn't let the meat sit long enough in the boiling water that covered it. Maybe 10 minutes, or so. That wasn't enough, so it tasted more like hard Chinese noodles. Sometimes, burger can take up to an hour in cold water to reconsitute.

Veggies

Added to the meat, was my yummy dehydrated veggies. In coconut oil, I Sauteed grated cauliflower, brussell sprouts, red pepper, onion and garlic and some good seasoning. Then I spread it out on a cookie sheet and baked it at 150 degrees for a couple of days.

Then I made a a yummy tangy BBQ sauce and canned them in canning jars. Sure, those jars added weight, but the sauce is the thing that made the crunchy meat taste good. Glad I brought it.

Tangy BBQ Sauce Recipe:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon lite or sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon stevia or sweetener (or to taste)
  1. Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
  2. Add other ingredients.
  3. Stir until well blended.
  4. Bring to a boil, and lower heat.
  5. Let simmer for a few minutes.
Mayan Bar Recipe (homemade granola bars)

1 1/2 cups almond butter(or any nut/seed butter)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or other thick natural sweetener)
1/4 t cardamom powder
1/4 t cinnamon powder
1/2 cup toasted quinoa (lightly toasted in dry skillet until heartily popping)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup pecans, macadamias or whatever nut you like, toasted, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Mix nut butter, sweeteners and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Spread on well-oiled baking dish and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Yum.

Lunches:

Just grabbed pouched/canned tuna/salmon, individual packets of mayo and seasoning and mixed together in thermos. I also had sunflower seeds and dehydrated green beans from Trader Joes, which had a yummy, sweet taste to them.

I would make my lunch when I made breakfast, so it would be ready for me on the road.

Breakfasts:

I already mentioned that I wasn't thrilled with the organic egg powder that I got. I had a few days of scrambled eggs with veggies. Wasn't hideous, but had a lot to be desired.

Got Clif Bars for the rest of the trip, which got me out of camp and on the road a lot quicker. Hooray!

In the photo above, you see 6 bags each of granola and sunflower seeds. Only 3 bags each fit in my dry bag with the rest of the food, so some of that food never made it. I had enough food for the trip, though. Actually wished that I found a way to bring the rest of the granola.

Only half of the breakfasts were left over.

All in all, I would say my food was a success. I enjoyed it on the road. Plus, it made me APPRECIATE EATING REAL AND INCREDIBLE FOOD AT ROCKING V CAFE in Kanab, UT.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote