View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM   #118
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
Had care & feeding of a 77 Darmah for the last five years. Belonged to my nieghbor when I lived in Maryland. He was in his late 70s and didn't ride anymore. When I moved in, he saw my Norton and decided I was OK. His instructions were to always start the Norton pointed at his house so he could hear it
The Darmah had been sitting, and his son held no interest in it, as it wasn't the right kind of V-twin
The nieghbor had me clean the carbs and rebuild the brakes in preparation of selling it, and then decided he couldn't bear to part with it, so we made a deal whereby I could ride it and he would pay for parts, and I would provide labor, in return for making sure it would be taken care of, and he could at least hear and see it running.
I rode it a few thousand miles, enjoyed it, but when it came time to move, he thought about selling it to me, but at the last minute, his son decided he wanted it now
I suspect the son will just sell it, he thought it was a collector's item and was worth a small fortune, $10K or so. Some idiots think anything old has collectors value.
Liked the bike, but thought it was a bit heavy, and no faster than the Norton.
Got a friend with a GT750 that hasn't been run in years, trying to make a deal with him, I prefer the round case models anyway.